ahhh,,burning firewood. until........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
......you have to empty out the damn ash pit. that's gotta be the worse job around the house!

'dust every where in the basement, including all over me. each year I have to empty out ashes from about 4 or maybe 5 cords of wood. this ain't a fun job and probably the only thing that would ever keep me from burring again. ( until next year, of course)

I just wheel it out into the woods and throw it in the air. fortunately, it's a windy day. :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
1 more reason I went to an OWB? All the mess is outside! Happy wife, no inside mess! Though I do burn more wood than you, so more work for me, so less time I have to deal with people since I process alone! WIN for me!!!!!!!!!!

Do that on a rainy day, not a windy day. SMH

yea, right...they are heavy enough dry. I fill a plastic trash can about half way, carry it up the steps then outside to the trailer. have to make several trips.

wet ashes would be like concrete mortar! lol

My ashes get removed one small ash pan at a time throughout winter. I throw them outside in a galvanized trash can and once that gets full I carry it out into the woods and dump it.

Something like this.

Fireplace scoop or stove scoop to get them in a 5 gallon metal bucket. Do that once a month or so thru the winter. Or weekly & dump the bucket outside when it gets full. There will be more draw up the chimney in winter & when burning so there shouldn't be any ash getting into the basement, the chimney should suck airborne stuff outside. As long as you take your time & keep the bucket right beside the cleanout, and don't drop or chuck the ashes into the bucket - just set the scoop into the bottom of it & let them slide off. I don't get any ash in my basement.

My ashes get removed one small ash pan at a time throughout winter. I throw them outside in a galvanized trash can and once that gets full I carry it out into the woods and dump it.

Same here but I scatter it around the yard and garden while the snow is still on the ground.

Something like this.

Fireplace scoop or stove scoop to get them in a 5 gallon metal bucket. Do that once a month or so thru the winter. Or weekly & dump the bucket outside when it gets full. There will be more draw up the chimney in winter & when burning so there shouldn't be any ash getting into the basement, the chimney should suck airborne stuff outside. As long as you take your time & keep the bucket right beside the cleanout, and don't drop or chuck the ashes into the bucket - just set the scoop into the bottom of it & let them slide off. I don't get any ash in my basement.

my fireplace has a metal door under the grate where I can just open it and sweep the ashes down into it. during the winter they fill up inside the block wall. In the basement there's a clean out door where I shovel the ashes out of.

it's not a typical fireplace because I've made changes to it so that it heats our 200 sq. ft ranch home. it's convenient to just push all the ashes down the hole until the end of the burning season when I have to remove them from the ash pit. fortunately the basement is mine and it's my work shop so the dust isn't a real problem. it's just a pain in the neck to carry them up the steps and outside.

and you wouldn't think ashes would get heavy......fill a trash can half way and lift it several times up the steps.

so, what does spreading ashes do for the yard?

If it's too much hassle you should be able to switch to a Sterno can.

Nah. I just hired a guy to do it. He cleaned it out completely and cleaned up the mess and hauled it away. All I had to do was drink coffee and watch tv

Problem solved.

1 more reason I went to an OWB? All the mess is outside! Happy wife, no inside mess! Though I do burn more wood than you, so more work for me, so less time I have to deal with people since I process alone! WIN for me!!!!!!!!!!

Same at the shop. 90% of the dust and mess is from the stove. Had made the ceiling all black and nasty over the years too.

Nah. I just hired a guy to do it. He cleaned it out completely and cleaned up the mess and hauled it away. All I had to do was drink coffee and watch tv

Problem solved.

That comment wasn't meant to be snarky. I put a smiley and it didn't show in the post, went back and edited and it showed on my phone but I still don't see it. I just assumed you meant 2000 sq. ft and was making a joke.

That comment wasn't meant to be snarky. I put a smiley and it didn't show in the post, went back and edited and it showed on my phone but I still don't see it. I just assumed you meant 2000 sq. ft and was making a joke.

nope. it does heat our whole house quite well. like I said I made some changes to it and made it more efficient.

Try removing all bark from your Wood and only burn clean wood without bark. My customers that burn my barkless wood only empty there pans once or twice a year. You would be surprised at how much the bark will screw you up. Also it is worth mentioning that you will not have to clean the flu as much either.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back