Anyone Using The Stihl 2 in 1 Sharpener ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone using the Stihl 2 in 1 Sharpener ?

Likes or Dislikes ?

Thanks

[video=youtube;ucIpjJ-BNWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucIpjJ-BNWQ[/video]

Ive got the earlier pferd version of that for oregon / husky chains . Works well .
But i did just pick up the Stihl ff1 guides for .325 and.375 chains the hold a perfect 30* and only cost about 12 bucks . Gotta use the appropriate Stihl file holder with them ,and the dont do the rakers like the husky roller guide . They even come with a dvd .... Woot !:)

I also picked up the FF1 and the correct guide and file. They did not have the depth gauge for the rakers and ordered them for me.

This 2 in 1 system looks like it would work well and does everything at the same time.

I had seen one a little like that at the Husqvarna store but did not realize that Stihl had this super double sided model?

I have the older version of the Husqvarna one. I really like the results. I have been thinking of getting the new one as it looks a bit easier. Pferd makes them for Husqvarna.

Jeremy

Anyone using the Stihl 2 in 1 Sharpener ?

Likes or Dislikes ?

Thanks

I have all 3 of them 3/8 Picco (4.0 mm ) , .325 ( 4.8 mm ) and 3/8 ( 5.2 mm ) While I was in Germany in May I went to the local Stihl to get a new raker file for my old 3/8 picco 2 in 1 and got 3 more along with a stihl petrol/oil tank and stump vice. I like how easy they are to use and the results were great. Mind you at $ 50.00 or 35 euros each they are not cheap! They look just like the pferd ones right down to the markings.

I used one out in the field all the time but have now removed the raker file. I found after a few sharpens on the same 36RM chain it had a tendancy to bite in prety hard. I run a light file after every tank so touching up the rakers is not always required. I do however love the shape and feel of the 2 in 1 holder and I seem to hold the correct angle better when filing.

Speaking of chains
what size chain would you blokes recommend an 064 running a 25 to 30 odd inch bar in Aussie hard woods
thankyou

I have the .325" and 3/8" versions. I don't mind the .325" setup but I am a big fan of 7/32" on all 3/8" chain and am not a big fan of 13/64" which is what the Stihl setup comes with. Personally I don't use them anymore and have gone back to a standard file guide. I do keep them in my toolbox though in case I ever have a chain that I've forgotten to set the rakers on.

Speaking of chains
what size chain would you blokes recommend an 064 running a 25 to 30 odd inch bar in Aussie hard woods
thankyou

Definitely 3/8" mate on an 064 and skip chain on the 30" bar. Go semi chisel too. I've cut a lot off wood down in Tassie and semi chisel is the go.

Hi Guys,

this was just what I was looking, guys with some experience!

I bought the pferd chainsharp cs-x version a while ago. Used it once or twice and packed the saw away. Back then I felt something was not right and now that I used it again I made sure I'm not doing something stupid: my depth gauge/raker file files on the back stroke and the cutter is filed on the forward stroke. Try as you may but you can not rotate the file as the lid won't close.

I tried either side and both are the same. The files in contact with the chain are in oposite directions. I think this is a manufacturing fault and phoned pferd but the tech guy was in a meeting. Can someone please check their 2in1 or cs-x and let me know?

Ps. The raker file arrow points in the right direction. I think the cut is just reversed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,

this was just what I was looking, guys with some experience!

I bought the pferd chainsharp cs-x version a while ago. Used it once or twice and packed the saw away. Back then I felt something was not right and now that I used it again I made sure I'm not doing something stupid: my depth gauge/raker file files on the back stroke and the cutter is filed on the forward stroke. Try as you may but you can not rotate the file as the lid won't close.

I tried either side and both are the same. The files in contact with the chain are in oposite directions. I think this is a manufacturing fault and phoned pferd but the tech guy was in a meeting. Can someone please check their 2in1 or cs-x and let me know?

Ps. The raker file arrow points in the right direction. I think the cut is just reversed.

Thanks in advance!

That is odd it should be on the fwd stroke. have a look at mine. There is a angle cut into the top of the raker file. line yours up as mine is. IF it is a manufacturing problem you can grind off the edge and correct it.

View attachment 314007

View attachment 314008

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I picked up the 3/8 picco 2 in 1 today and hope to have the standard 2 in 1 Reg 3/8 in a day or two.

On the FF1 system what depth gauge tool do you use on 3/8 picco ( Maybe the .025 ?)
and what depth gauge tool on Stihl 3/8 RS , Semi Chisel and RSF chain ?
What would be the best file for use on the depth tool for the rakers ?

Thanks RockJock,

Thats exactly what I thought. My file looks the same on the top end, but unlike yours, the other end is also shaped, probably to make assembly easier. The slope of my cut is also the same (slope opposite angle to the corner cutt off) except that in the position yours is lying it would seem that the teeth are pointing down whereas mine are pointing up. If I run my fingernail down the file it files.

I can grind the file, but why should I? I'll just take it back to them and they must exchange it!

Sorry for hijacking your thread gsrsol84mm, but it is somewhat relevant.....

All sorted!

Got the whole unit exchaned with a new one. According to them, I'm not the first to receive a faulty unit, so if you own one, check and make sure it works properly. Now the depth file looks like yours RockJock. This really works well now and the depth gauge is getting the attention it needs. For those interested, there is only one manufacturer of this tool... Pferd won an inovation award for the invention.

Regards

All sorted!

Got the whole unit exchaned with a new one. According to them, I'm not the first to receive a faulty unit, so if you own one, check and make sure it works properly. Now the depth file looks like yours RockJock. This really works well now and the depth gauge is getting the attention it needs. For those interested, there is only one manufacturer of this tool... Pferd won an inovation award for the invention.

Regards

I was positive that Pferd made it for Stihl. Good that you got it all sorted out! I did a few chains the other day and think it is brilliant. Mine is well used and still does a great job!

Yes, It Looks Like The Exact Sharpener

[video=youtube;JND69lVVjUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY[/video]

Yes, It Looks Like The Exact Sharpener

[video=youtube;JND69lVVjUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY[/video]

It is the same sharpener just in different colours and with Stihl written on it. I'm not sure of the pricing in the US but you probably pay $5-10 extra over Pferd for the pleasure of having one in orange and cream :D
In Australia the Stihl versions cost around USD$50-55.

Back