Bar oil in gas tank.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbartruff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yes you read it right. I put bar oil in gas tank and didn't realized what I had done till it quit running. Now what do I do. It's an Echo CS 330. No primer bulb to pump the oil out of the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the tank was dry of gas or even a little the gas would sit on top. so strait bar oil shouldn't go by your fuel filter. It probably just starved out?
So dump the oil out. half way with gas and shake and dump; 3 times should do it.
inspect the fuel filter in the tank.
Pull it off. First blow through it and then
Suck, it shouldn't fell restricted. You could replace it, they are inexpensive. Pull the line of the carb too and you could spray some cleaner down there and reflush the tank a bit. I would start with that. It should do it.

Welcome to the club. Done this with my old cs-306
Bar oil is so thick that I'd be surprised if it got sucked all the way into the carb before it starved out.
Rinse and drain several times will probably do it.
Pop the air cleaner out and give it a thimble full of fresh mix right down its throat to help start 'er back up.

I got what used to be a perfectly good 009 in the shop a couple years ago.dude had put bar oil in the gas tank.when it wouldn't start he took a go devil to it.after realizing he was a total *$@& tard he told me a tree fell on it.:rolleyes:

Chain oil will go through the fuel filter and fill the carby. I have seen this happen after i put a carby kit in a 300EVL and the owner brought it back to me saying that it would only run for a while if he tipped fuel in the plug hole. I had to drain the fuel tank, pull the carby apart and blow out the fuel line, then put fuel in it before it would run. The chain oil will not hurt anything but it does need to be cleaned out if you dont want to get lost in a cloud of smoke.

Sounds like there's lots of experience here
Lol..
I've "done that" more times than I like to admit. That happens so random I just call it 'Tuesday afternoon'. I haven't filled it up & put the cap on. Thats a good one.
Sometimes I'm reading my falling face as to step 1 2 3 4 at the time and other times I become so mentally exhausted, taking that time to shut my brain off and enjoy a nice little daze.
@ square1 is right though,but many don't realize the mental game some have to go through every second of the day.Every physical step takes a thought process.
The whole job is an accident waiting to happen and if that thought process stops for a second, its going to get ya. Its such a mentality demanding pace and thats why we work only 6.5 hours per day.

Ground guy did that with my Echo 341. The tanks are backwards from normal and he just filled her up and sent it back up the tree. Ran for a few minutes then started smoking to beat the band. Drain,flush, and refill correctly then get to cutting .....

That's what happened to me Ironworker. Filled my other saw up at the same time. The echo is the opposite and did it just because I wasn't paying attn. I'll give it a try guys and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Ground guy did that with my Echo 341. The tanks are backwards from normal and he just filled her up and sent it back up the tree. Ran for a few minutes then started smoking to beat the band. Drain,flush, and refill correctly then get to cutting .....
Glad that wasn't me! I'll pay better attention time! [emoji12]

Does diesel fuel in your pressure washer count [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20] looked like a crop duster

Sent from my phone when I should be working

A guy once filled up his brand new land cruiser with diesel on the farm.. got half way up the driveway and it quit.. it was an expensive tow bill to bring it back to the dealer 300 miles away to get cleaned out!

I haven't done it yet.. I pretty much only have 1 model of saw and have been awake enough to not screw it up..

Now I do catch myself doing dumbass brain-dead stuff once in a while.. like grabbing the air impact gun and trying to put the air hose on the wrong end of it... doesn't work too well.

You haven't used a saw yet till you've put oil in the fuel tank. Insult on injury would be if the cap was loose and it dribbled down your pant leg. Lol
And if you throw a saw over your shoulder and hike into where you are cutting ,you do not realize the flippy cap did not seat till it soaks through your sweatshirt or pant leg ,by the time you feel the oil the tank is dry ,Not that i have experienced this ...........

And if you throw a saw over your shoulder and hike into where you are cutting ,you do not realize the flippy cap did not seat till it soaks through your sweatshirt or pant leg ,by the time you feel the oil the tank is dry ,Not that i have experienced this ...........
Or worse, tripping over a root with the saw on your shoulder and thinking the bar oil was blood from cutting your face. Lol

done it once. but i do put mix in the bar oil tank to set about a day or so to flush the gunk out.

Back