Husqvarna 240 xTorq fuel contamination with chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocko

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post.

I have a 2018 Husqvarna 240 xTorq and it is twice now that the fuel becomes contaminated with chain oil.

Before you all chime in, I didn't put chain oil in the wrong tank.

The first time I rinced out the fuel tank and carb. The saw ran fine. After about 20 minutes of running the saw stalled.

The primer pump is hard to push and the fuel tank has chain oil in it.

I'm thinking a cracked case but before I take it all apart I thought I would ask if anyone has seen something like this before.

It's a first for me.

Thanks.

We are talking about the plastic crankcase 240 correct? Should be a 99.99% impossible for bar oil to leak into the fuel tank. The two are separated by solid plastic base.

Only way to verify is drain both tanks, block off all ports to each tank and then pressurize one of them at a time with LOW pressure, like 10-15 lbs maybe???, and spray soapy water everywhere on the bottom housing looking for bubbles. Or submerge the crankcase in a tub of water looking for bubbles with pressure in the tanks.

Ideally you should remove the top and rear handle, recoil, flywheel and clutch with oil pump to get a good look and pinpoint these areas.

1701116355859.png

Thanks Chevboy,

That's what I was thinking too but having never torn one down all the way to the case I wasn't sure if they didn't meet down the middle under the crank. Then any crack there might pull oil into the gas with the vacuum of the running engine. I know its a longshot but its the only thing I can think of.

It doesn't look as if there are plastic tanks in the case. It looks like one piece to me.

Its the exact photo I was using as a reference but what they don't show is if they meet down the middle under the crank. In anycase if it cracked I would need another case. I'm not sure if its worth it. Otherwise I thought I could seal one or both of the tanks with a tank sealer.

There's no way that the oil can pump into the tank either right? They're sealed units . I ask because it only happens when the saw is running. If left alone the fuel is fine.

I figured I'd ask before I tore it down.

Back