Belt drive governor how does throttle cable route

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok so I have a morbark 200 chipper with the 2.3l ford in it when I got it it had no governor setup on it besides the busted unit bolted on, no linkages or levers or springs..

I don't really have any experience with gas industrial engines, all diesel. I've tried looking up how this all gets put together but can't really find anything but for small engine stuff.

The throttle pull that's in the control panel does that go to the carb or does it pull on the governor arm with a spring on it to get it to operating speed where the governor then takes over? Either way there has to be some sort of spring in the pull out throttle, correct? Helpppp haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The throttle cable should go to a governor lever which it dives a link to the carb. Beyond that good luck. There were so few of those engine in service I doubt you'll find anyone who know anything.
There is a company called Sage Parts. They figured out a new carb and gov system for the Ford L6, they might have the same for the 4.
Foley Marine might help was well but those guys a crooks and will certainly rip you off if they can.

Qhrottle pull that's in the control panel does that go to the carb or does it pull on the governor arm with a spring on it to get it to operating speed where the governor then takes over? Either way there has to be some sort of spring in the pull out thrQ

yes you are correct in understanding it needs a spring
look at a small gas engine like a Honda auto log splitter pressure washer to see the operating principles.

Is this belt driven governor? they were pretty common in all sorts of industrial and farm equipment adapting from automotive engines

On the externally mounted bolted on governors there will usually be a couple levers on the outside with a spring connecting between them
One just provides an attachment to the footpedal or throttle lever linkage or cable or rod.
The other lever is connected to the inside fly weights of the governor and has a rod or linkage up to the throttle butterfly in carb.
The spring goes between the two levers.

When you open the throttle it pulls on the spring and puts more spring tension against the governor lever which then pulls the throttle butterfly wide open. As the engine speed increases the flyweights inside pull the lever back the other direction. So final operating throttle plate position is set by the balance of spring force that operator controls, balanced against the governor internal force created by rpm.

if you have the spring with the new governor it should be fairly easy to figure out. If you are selecting the spring from scratch from the hardware store it may be very difficult. There is the balance between force from the throttle and the governor but there's also a delicate balance to get stability so it doesn't overreact and hunt up-and-down

Ok so I have a morbark 200 chipper with the 2.3l ford in it when I got it it had no governor setup on it besides the busted unit bolted on, no linkages or levers or springs..

I don't really have any experience with gas industrial engines, all diesel. I've tried looking up how this all gets put together but can't really find anything but for small engine stuff.

The throttle pull that's in the control panel does that go to the carb or does it pull on the governor arm with a spring on it to get it to operating speed where the governor then takes over? Either way there has to be some sort of spring in the pull out throttle, correct? Helpppp haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
if you still need info I can email manual. it was too big to attach and I found it online. My governor blew up so if know where I can get one let me know.

if you still need info I can email manual. it was too big to attach and I found it online. My governor blew up so if know where I can get one let me know.

Back