Best cord prices I could find (PNW)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I burnt through 4 cord this winter and am completely out now I need to swallow my pride and buy some firewood. The prices around me seem ridiculous right now (long cold winter, supply and demand)

The "best" prices I can find are 240/cord for red fir or 200/cord for a red fir, white fir 50/50 mix. Should I just fork out the extra money for the full cord of red fir? I feel like I'm getting ripped off either way but it is what it is, first and hopefully last time I'll have to pay for firewood.

On that note anybody here in the north Idaho/Spokane area with some wood for sale?

Yeah it's getting a bit scarce these days around Spokane. I would go with all red fir. White fir burns pretty fast, usually campfire wood for us. Watch closely what they bring, heard a lot of horror stories this year. Price wise those are pretty good for this time of year, most are asking 280-300.

Those are some clean looking stacks. Just curious why you slant the metal posts rather than having them vertical.

Well, wood (or anything) has a natural angle of repose so if you just dumped it in a pile it would be stable with a certain side slope. The closer my slopes are to that natural angle of repose the less load there is on my metal posts. Just imagine if I leaned them way over, they wouldn't even be doing anything as the stack would stay up all by itself!

So I burnt through 4 cord this winter and am completely out now I need to swallow my pride and buy some firewood. The prices around me seem ridiculous right now (long cold winter, supply and demand)

The "best" prices I can find are 240/cord for red fir or 200/cord for a red fir, white fir 50/50 mix. Should I just fork out the extra money for the full cord of red fir? I feel like I'm getting ripped off either way but it is what it is, first and hopefully last time I'll have to pay for firewood.

On that note anybody here in the north Idaho/Spokane area with some wood for sale?

$240 is pretty steep. You actually might be able to still scrounge blowdown ponderosa for free in urban Spokane. There's still a fair bit left around - at least on the south hill. I realize that's not ideal, but it's also not $240 a cord.

My next suggestion is worse than the first, but you might surf around Hangman on Valley Chapel road for standing dead from last year's fire. If it's standing, it's likely still reasonably sound (at least what I've been cutting out south of town is relatively sound), and most reasonable folks would be happy to let you take it for free before it randomly drops.

I just brought the last of leftover 2015 wood to the house on Sunday. Haven't even touch this winter's wood yet.

Back