BIG logs.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have access to a fresh pile of 12/16' long, 24-50+" Oak logs that were stacked tight and 10' high w a large loader. Trying to cut and roll off the big stuff w 2, 20" bar saws....other than the obvious, any tips on cutting around the huge, heavy logs ? I told my brother we should pull 2 logs out like rails w a truck and chains and roll the higher ones onto them to cut'em up.

Can you take a picture of the pile? Are they stacked pretty neat? If you pull a log out of the pile be careful about others settling and rolling out of the pile.

They are stacked high and tight and just found out a friend of my brothers thinks his mini excavator can toss them on a trailer if we cut them in half. We pinched 2, 20" saws today but were able to get them out w a shovel and pry bar. We rolled a bunch of big rounds up the trailer ramp and a few that had to be 500#.

Depending on the mini-X you are only talking 2000# of lifting capacity at best because you have to reach out so far on a log pile. My Volvo ECR48 (roughly 10,500#) will pick up a 16" birch x 40' long right over the blade, extend out at all and I'm tipping over. I bet I couldn't even pick up a 48" x 8' long piece of wet oak...even if I could get it pinched in the thumb.

I try to get a log cleared from the others and raise it at least partially from the ground - much easier to process and significantly reduced risk of injuries and pinched bars.
Piled up logs easily pinch a bar and/or start rolling with no way to stop them once they start moving.
FYI , Dolmar PS-7900 with 20" bar , it smashed those oak logs! :chainsaw:

DSC00284.JPG

I try to get a log cleared from the others and raise it at least partially from the ground - much easier to process and significantly reduced risk of injuries and pinched bars.
Piled up logs easily pinch a bar and/or start rolling with no way to stop them once they start moving.
FYI , Dolmar PS-7900 with 20" bar , it smashed those oak logs! :chainsaw:

View attachment 438362

Man those solid color Dolmars from Europe and OZ are gorgeous....

Jealous

Michael

I've done it before but it is dangerous. 10 feet is too high for me to climb on. I usually stand on one log and cut off the ends of anything that is sticking out of the pile, then start rolling off the lighter ones to the ground for bucking and repeat. But no way I'd try that at 10 feet.

Just something to think about, my uncle has a wooden leg up to almost his hip from when he was a logger, was cutting up a good size tree and it rolled over one of his legs. Of course this was in '53 (yes, he's still alive) so if this had happened today they might able to pin it back together. The interesting thing is he logged for years after this with the wooden leg.

They are mostly White and Post Oak, I think 2 logs are Persimmon. There is a sawmill about 2 miles away.
Surprisingly, logs that size, even if oak, would only be worth $.25 a bd ft from sawmills around here. Cottonwood is down to $.20 a bd ft. They are all overstocked. Even the loggers are looking for firewood buyers. I bought three bunks of tops from a logger for $400. Most was dead dry. That produced about a grand in campfire wood sales and I still have half a bunk left to process. He wants to sell me more.

Be careful, log piles (as others have said) are dangerous. I addition to the wedges, I would also want an peavey or timber jack.

If the ends are clear, work on them to lighten the rest of it. The more manageable you make them, the better off you will be.

But again, be very careful!

Back