BIG logs.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The term "bunk" is new to me. What is that?
A bunk of logs are all that fit between the uprights on a flatbed trailer. Usually the logs are buck cut to 8' to 9' lengths and then stacked up on the trailer using a truck picker or perhaps a hydraulic buck cutter that also cuts them to length. The trailer can sometimes hold five bunks when cut to this length. I should have mentioned log length because that can vary from one load to the next and whatever the sawmill wants most.

In my case, all the logs were 8' to 9' and each bunk held the equivalent of six pickup truckloads, unprocessed but ready for cutting to firewood length and splitting. The truck picker was actually used to make my smaller delivery because it can hold three bunks by itself. Only about one out of six of the logs in this load required any drying. The rest were barkless, ready to burn, and tops that the sawmill didn't want for making pallets. They usually want the big logs as mentioned here by OP.

Back