The lil saw that could

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two Craftsman S185 42cc saws with 18" bars, purchased new for about $31 each on clearance (the store was dropping the entire brand of saw, they were normally $185 each). The oilers are adjustable and I set them "reasonably," 40:1 mix per the manual.

On a few 24" cuts I stayed in the cut wayyyyy too long and should have pulled out for a few seconds several times, one saw might have lost some compression due to that (or it was crap fuel on the refuel, not sure).

They've been great "beater" saws for jobs you really don't want to use a good saw for. They were made by MTD who seem to have "borrowed" the best Jonsered ideas when they folded.

Keep 'em cool and try to not run them out of gas, 40:1 works great (32:1 does not in these), and keep the chain sharp.
I climb with my old 40cc craftsman. 16" bar
Runs 40:1 ratio. It doesn't quite compete with the newer huskies we run at work, but it holds up really well. Starts first pull, and runs all day reliably. Cuts reasonably fast. My buddies at work joke about the saw sometimes, but it cuts just fine for me, and I paid 40 bucks for it

reviving an OLD thread - I have a Craftsman 42cc/18" that I believe is Husky? It's dark gray, came with a black Craftsman case and doesn't have the chain-brake in the handguard.

all the spare parts I've bought for it (air filter oil pump, clutch) are Husky parts but I need a new carb. anyone know of a good/cheap source?..

thanks in advance

reviving an OLD thread - I have a Craftsman 42cc/18" that I believe is Husky? It's dark gray, came with a black Craftsman case and doesn't have the chain-brake in the handguard.

all the spare parts I've bought for it (air filter oil pump, clutch) are Husky parts but I need a new carb. anyone know of a good/cheap source?..

thanks in advance

Your craftsman chainsaw has a model number .
Probably 358.??????

Latest posts

Back