Biodegradable bar oil...... anybody use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glens said:
Ha!  But you don't hesitate to use Windows!  Hahahahaha!

(couldn't resist)

LMAO! Sure I do!

Why do ya think I have the host computer on Linux? :cool:

http://arborist.************/attachment_19413.php

Jim the Tack additive in most Petroleum oils is polyisobutylene. I have no idea what the prprietary stuff for vegetable oils is.

Could it be sugar-based somehow?

Thinking of desiring a non-petroleum based substance. Molasses is pretty "tacky"?

V570 tackifier

This does not say what the tack additive is, but they're sure helpful in shelling out the infohttp://arborist.************/attachment_19527.php

I am sooooo glad we found this information. We're getting closer to knowing what we need to know.

Jeeze People

ALL YOU GUYS NEED LIVES!!! WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE ON A DATE OR TOOK YOUR WEIFE OUT TO DINNER? But no we are all gonna sit here and talk about tac in oil>!!!!!!!!! Sory hunny but tac is mor eimportant then you

Oh, TJB. We're just havin some fun with it for no other reason than 'We can'. The internet lets us pull highly detailed information out of space. C'mon, admit it, this is a blast.

I'm just trying to figure out how expensive and toxic my canola oil is gonna be if I tacify it.

I want to know if I can get little single-serve, one-gallons-worth little squeezepacks

And I want to know if the stuff REALLY works any better, and can all my environmentally conscious bretheren get tacked up for SOMEWHERE under $18 a gallon, mebbe more like 6 or $7? We're trying to lay to rest whether or not the Tree Machine is really full of bull$hi#.

Tree Machine said:
Oh, TJB. We're trying to lay to rest whether or not the Tree Machine is really full of bull$hi#.
There is doubt? :p

I think this thread has been fun except for boy-skater's overreactions.

You guys leave Timberjackboy alone. He's my buddy. I'm trying to get him to see ha can't keep a girl because he stanks like used motor oil. He's trying to save my marriage by pointing out that I'm a loser because I'm not spending quality time with my best girl. He really has a point. That's a guy looking out for a guy, that's male bonding, that's <i>comradery</i>. Thank you TJB.

So I guess the next thing would be to call 'Functional Inc.' and ask some detailed questions,

1) Can the tac be bought as an undiluted concentrate?
2) Can a single aliquot be used to treat a single gallon of oil?
3) How much does it cost?
4) What is the minmum amout you will sell?

Can we come up with a few more pertinant questions? Add to the list!

Hopefully they will sell small quantities of mix it yourself additive to individuals. If not maybe we can sic Sherrill and Bailey's on them. I wouldn't mind buying enough additive for 20 gallons of bar oil at a time if it didn't cost more than 2-3 dollars per gallon's dose.(Assuming that it can be simply mixed-I don't want to have to heat to precise temps and do weird things to obtain miscability)

True. Ease of use / mixing, and cost will be the real life factors.

I have a vision of puncturing the end of something like a vitamin E gel cap, squeezing it out into your gallon of veggie oil, recapping and inverting a few times for instantly sticky oil. Sticky oil is an oxymoron.

a life

Been reading this thread, just have to put my 2 cents in now, have to agree with TreeMachine... this is awful interesting. OK, my wife has no clue what tac in my bar oil is... not sure she knows exactly what bar oil actually is :) But I still do take her out to dinner after 25 years of marraige, and I also enjoy listening to you folks talk about this. I'm actually a tac convert... when working as a logger, we only ever used 30W engine oil, cheapest the crew chief could find on sale that week. Seemed to work fine, but we were in So Maryland, lots of sand in those pine woods, so careful as we tried, we would go through chains and bars fast. Then tried a gal of bar oil one time, and liked the way it seemed to stick to the chain better. Does it sling off less? Is it necessary? ... still not sure, thats why this thread is so interesting. I might even try some veggie oil now that I have heard all this good stuff.

OH.. wife just walked in the room and I simply asked her point blank what is bar oil?... she said "the oil you put in your chain saw for the bar stupid!" Guess she told me huh :eek:

Tree machine

Tree machine is definitly the smartest guy here!!!!! Hes got a good point about used motor oil stinking!!!!! But you see guys it may not stick to your bar as nice but it still is cheaper. I mean you may wear out your bar and chanin quicker, but you can get a 45 gallon drum of used oil for free, think of how much that oil would cost if you bought it all, your really saving quite a lot. But I see tree machines point. Leave him alone.he probaly knows alot more about what hes talking about then alot of you, or porbaly me too.

Timberjack, perhaps you've got the right idea. Maybe cancer is brought on psychologicaly. Maybe people like you, people who dont give a shiit about their health will out live those of us who actually try and limit the amount of toxic waste we come in contact with. I for one am gonna try some veg oil, i'd prefer to outlive my chainsaw then vice versa. :alien:

Grrrrrrr

Thats !!!!! Ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im Mad

Latest posts

Back