Branches Chewed off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klock66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have branches coming off of one of my River Birch trees. Each branch is about 2 to 3 feet in length and 1/4 inch width where it came off the tree.

What's interesting is that the branches are not dead and the end where the branch came off the tree looks like a clean cut. It almost looks like something has taken a razor blade, cut two thirds into the branch and snapped off the rest.

I have a second River Birch about 50 feet from this one and it's not suffering the same plight.

Thoughts?

Squirrels

In my yard, the squirrels will do that. I kept wondering myself what in the world was happening. One day I saw them, They cut them off and carry (or try) to make a nest in the tree. Our squirrels were not very good at it though.

They would get one stick packed into the nest for every three that they cut.
The others fell to the ground.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think squirrels were doing the damage but it did give me something else to search on. In the course of doing this, I found the answer I needed. It's not squirrels doing the damage. The offender is a insect called a twig girdler. This link shows a good pic of the insect and the damage caused: http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2003Articles/AUG24.htm

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think squirrels were doing the damage but it did give me something else to search on. In the course of doing this, I found the answer I needed. It's not squirrels doing the damage. The offender is a insect called a twig girdler. This link shows a good pic of the insect and the damage caused: http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2003Articles/AUG24.htm

Good article. It did however say that the twigs that fall from girdlers are already dried and dead. Your green twigs suggest it maybe squirels after all. Close-up pictures are also helpful if you can get them.

Well, based on the pictures I've seen, the cuts look too clean to be squirrels. I've uploaded some pics of one of the branches. Also, you would think if squirrels were doing the damage, they would take the branches with them. All of the branches remain on the ground.

Not to mention, I work from home and have a view of the backyard and haven't seen any squirrel activity lately.

The squirrels can make very clean cuts. It is amazing how sharp their teeth must be. Look up in the tree and see if you can find a nest. It will just look like a big pile of those little sticks and leaves.

twiggird.gif

I lose probably 100 or more branch tips from 1/2" to 3/4" diameter every year right about this time of year from a pecan in the yard here from those girdler bugs. Somewhere I read that the larvae are still in the branch tip that falls to the ground, and that you should burn the branches to kill the critters.

Latest posts

Back