1998 Altec Whisper Chipper questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I have an old super crazy dangerous machine I purchased. I have absorbed nearly if not all the videos that could be related to this chipper. I have purchased a manual which was incredibly informative but none of the content I have seen addresses where GREASE and what type should be applied and WHERE. Also, this chipper surprisingly has a water tank? There's a pump and a hose that seems like it sprays water to the hopper. Was that some sort of old way of keeping the dust down? Because things literally explode when fed into.

Also, the break lever seems to be non functional, would anyone happen to know how to go about addressing that?

I obviously have a fixer upper, but I've been finding myself working with this thing alot more than I expected. So, being the detail oriented OCD dude I am, want to make this machine as presentable and as fully functioning as I can. (Yes it needs a paint job, should I go white or stay yellow?)

Also, any websites or recommendations to get new blades for this machine? The manual clearly explains how it's done but I can't seem to find anywhere locally here in Nevada City.

The machine is an Altec Whisper Chipper year 1998, 6' JEY 616 model with the Ford V6

IMG_20240430_112735246.jpg

Back