WHISPER CHIPPER JEY 616

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a Whisper Chipper JEY 616 sadly the Ford motor decided to put piston through the block.
Doing a search around Australia for same motor out of a F100 But no luck yet did miss one at $750.
With help of manual hunting a diesel but running into same problem with massive increase in cost.
QUESTION
Is it worth doing up ?
Or there are a new type out one brand HANSA have big discs seems to pull timber down sloping chute.
Can find this type around 3 to 5 grand but no auto feed.

Have found a diesel motor out of a Mazda truck 4 cylinder small truck have get model code and check specifications to see if enough horse power to run it.
End of the day am on a all too hard too old a machine to bother cost to buy as is $500

After many hours trying to cram information into the brain
1 Ford 300 where due the long stroke good low down torque keep it spinning.
2 Went to V8 due to above no longer made or deisel.
3 Thought change to a 250 cross flow or even a Holden 3.9 6 cylinder from a car sadly due to the lack of low down torque told machine if loaded would just slow down jam.
4 So in 2023 it looks like only way to go is diesel OUCH PRICE KILLER.

Conclusion is it worth the time to fix up buy the machine he wants $500 as is plus motor say $1500 plus extra doing myself fitting so final cost around 2200 2300.
Would I be better just a chipper this new disc system not the old drum like this one

Thing is the Whisper has auto feed which way to go when you have never used either machine before

Ok as not pulled out of grass yet will check again. I watched a youtube re one these WOW no called chuck duck did relise the speed it pulled in SCARY. Yet to get a good look in the drum area this what happens when you asume.

I have a asplundh whisper chipper jey model 12inch drum (chuck'n'duck) w/ford inline6 300ci engine no autofeed. It's a great machine if your not a lotion your hands kinda guy. The auto feed option on the newer ones will slow you down in my opinion. The chuck n duck just eats branches as fast as you throw them in, where the auto feed is like a goat eating a wad of grass(slowly). Only reason I could see the auto feed being good is for BIG whole tree chippers cuz well you have to go slower with big stuff. But with tree removal and trimming your mostly chipping branches no larger then 4in diameter everything larger is firewood so why the need for auto feed when a chuck n duck can eat that 4in diameter branch in 10secs or less vs the auto feed will chew on it for almost a minute for one branch. That's one branch ate in the amount of time my chucknduck can eat 6 branches that size. Yeah I might take a whipping from a few branches on my arm or possibly an ear if exposed but nobody said treework was painless. Chucknducks also make really nice wood chips vs shreddings like all the auto feed chippers do. I use my chips for gardening and landscaping projects so I like the visually appealing chips better then the shredded mulch look. BTW I have about $3000 total into the machine that's with buying it and dumping money into it over the years. But I have made that back with jobs and the clearing of my own land as well so it's a good deal to me.

Back