Building log splitter'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great4me

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure if I can use this onan 12.9 HP engine/generator for a log splitter. it only run's 1800 RPM
and I'd like to keep it that way. So what size pump would I need?? I'm thinking 22 GPM ...

Generator engines usually have a tapered shaft which makes it quite difficult to get a pulley or adapter for the shaft. At 1800 rpms a 22 gpm log splitter pump will only produce 11 gpm.

Dude 18 HP with a 25 GPM pump would move any sized ram with some authority....your cycle times would be stupidly fast :)
So drop the pump down to 22 or 16 GPM ??
I'm having a friend help me weld it together, we have the 18 HP vertical engine to use and a 16 HP engine as an extra I have.
Would like it to be around 10 to 12 second cycle time, but world rather have more power than speed. Were putting a log lift and have the cutter lift too'
Any help is appreciated!

So drop the pump down to 22 or 16 GPM ??
I'm having a friend help me weld it together, we have the 18 HP vertical engine to use and a 16 HP engine as an extra I have.
Would like it to be around 10 to 12 second cycle time, but world rather have more power than speed. Were putting a log lift and have the cutter lift too'
Any help is appreciated!
splitting srength is determined by the area of the piston (size of the ram cylinder) and the final PSI that the pump develops. the total flow does not change the final splitting strength..so a 1 GPM and a 25 GPM pump develop the same final splitting pressure. The bigger the pump the faster that it moves. the bigger the pump the larger the engine needs to be to cycle said pump. if you have anything over 14 HP it should easily handle a 25 GPM pump you can always slow the engine down if it is moving too fast for you. this saves wear and tear, and fuel. trust me go with the bigger engine, and the 22 or 25 GPM two speed pump. For Instance :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200321057_200321057 (good choice 22 GPM and 3K PSI)

important thing is to ensure that all components can handle the same GPM and pressure. this means your pump, spool valve, hoses, ram, and get a quality filter on the return side to catch the crap before it goes in the tank. tank should be at least 10 gallons (minimum) for a system this side. any smaller and you will need to put a cooler on it to keep temps down. high temps are what kills the seals in the components ensure that you cannot suck air into the pump (oil tank and oil level should be such that when tank is half full it still supplies oil to the pump without air. air slugs are what kills the pump (it will cavitate) and the air bubbles will destroy a pump real fast.

all of the china made splitters with the tank below the pump are hot garbage...(sorry to any that bought one) the design allows for cavitation, hot oil you name it it sucks.....build correctly and your splitter will outlast you

this webpage sell plans for like 10~20 bucks, well worth it as they include a engine HP to pump GPM spread sheet along with all the info you need to avoid the pitfalls. I paid the fees just to get the HP to pump calcs but it includes so much more info...well worth the 10 bucks or whatever it was I paid.

http://woodsplitterplans.com/

this might save you $10
that is the same company that I paid the 10 bucks too. I have the same files along with some other things they sent me but out of respect for the person who took the time to assemble this and is working to make a little for their effort I did not post the docs....if you cannot afford 10 bucks for a set of plans...you should not be palying around on AS..jsut my opinion and I am a bit of an ass....but I think you owe that company a bit of an apology

Opinons are like, well you know the rest. Just for info, I found this information on a public forum, used by 1000's of people. It was free to download,, the authors name is on the bottom of the last page. I can only guess that the author posted this information to be shared freely since he did post it on a public forum. There is also no reference to any company sponsorship in the writing of that document. There are references and credits to sources of information provided by other third parties. I do not know anything about the "Company" that you linked to, or as to where they obtained any information in any of their "plans" that they sell. Altho just a brief reading of their webpage seems to suggest that they gather free information provided by other non compensated individuals and then assemble that free information in a info package for resale. I can also understand the value of doing the research and being compensated for that research. these companies depend on people like you that either cant, wont, or are to lazy to do the research, and are willing to spend money to have someone do the work for them.

Now, I can understand how someone that doesnt know how to do something would ask questions. I cant understand how someone that paid for information on a subject, only to find out later the same information was available for free would want to Chastise the person providing the free information. You probably should instead be asking for a refund from the company that charged you for what was pretty much free and common knowledge. I regret that you wasted your money on your purchase. I equally regret that you felt it necessary to waste my time by having to respond to your baseless accusations

More free plans, http://www.electriclogsplittercenter.com/build-log-splitter-free-plans/
Took a full minute to find and didnt cost $10
Of course a search on this forum would provide lots of information and ideals, not to mention the tons of pictures. And there is also a lot of similar information on a lot of other web forums, I dont think I am allowed to link to them tho. Bottom line, Lots of free information out there if one is just willing to do their own research Also, if yu type the name of the doc I posted into their google search engine, the forum it was posted on will be the first link to come up. Hint, it wasnt woodsplitter plans.

Ok' thank you. We have decided not to use the Gen engine, it runs CCW. So on to another engine.
I have a 18 HP from a junk lawn mower, but didn't really want to go with Vertical so we'll see //

Nothing wrong with using a vertical engine. The reason most people dont is because its hard to find a factory made mount that just bolts on for the pump. Its not that hard to make your own mount and the pump dont care its is mounted vertical or horizonal. Used lawnmower engines are usually pretty easy to find, have electric start and most of all fairly cheap. Your 18hp engine should pull a 28gpm 2 stage pump, if you feel the need to go there. It will work equally well with the 22gpm pump you are considering using. No real advantage to having a large engine, but you will see a small difference in speed when the pump is under full load. A large engine will also burn more fuel. A large engine at no load wont burn as much fuel as a small engine at full load. To me, if I had the 18hp engine, I would use it before I started looking for and spending money on a smaller engine. I have a 25hp pulling my 28gpm pump. I had the motor so I used it.

You didnt say how big of a cyl you want to use. Do you plan on a single split wedge or a multi split. a 4in bore cyl will split about anything if using a single split wedge. Once you step up to a 4 way or more wedge, its going to take more power to get the job done. I use a 6way and a 5in bore cyl and havnt ran across anything that will stop it yet.

A little more info on what you expect from your splitter will yield better advice.

More free plans, http://www.electriclogsplittercenter.com/build-log-splitter-free-plans/
Took a full minute to find and didnt cost $10
Of course a search on this forum would provide lots of information and ideals, not to mention the tons of pictures. And there is also a lot of similar information on a lot of other web forums, I dont think I am allowed to link to them tho. Bottom line, Lots of free information out there if one is just willing to do their own research Also, if yu type the name of the doc I posted into their google search engine, the forum it was posted on will be the first link to come up. Hint, it wasnt woodsplitter plans.

Thank you ' I've looked at over 200 home built plans and have saved around 50 to look at as I'm building. Yes ton's of info on the net and easy to find//

dang Kevin, you keep much better records of your build than I do for sure. I'll take a coupe of pics and loose the camera.
Mind If i package your slide show and sell it. I should be able to get at least $10 for the plans.

Sure, give me a $1.00 out of everyone sold. In ten years I may be able to buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds. LOL

Vertical engines are more plentiful than horizontal engines so the price reflects availability. As mentioned a problem with lawn mower motors is that they do not have adapters readily made, but can be fabricated with some welding. The biggest problem that I had was the motor had to sit pretty high for the pump to be mounted below. I have seen plans that are available to buy or online, but do not like them. They do not fit me. I had some heavy wall tubing so was thinking one day why not use the tubing for the backbone of the cradle. Never saw any plans for that. Now I have a hydro tank that can act like a cooler and more compact. Then I discovered that the v design motors run at higher RPM. A 24 HP V twin pushing a 28 CFM is faster than most and now I am spoiled. I would like to use a 40 HP with two pumps, but now that is starting to seem stupid because it would be so hard to move around. Then suspension became a big issue in that either going down the freeway at 55 MPH or 4 MPH over very rough terrain needed to be addressed. Thanks

Vertical engines are more plentiful than horizontal engines so the price reflects availability. As mentioned a problem with lawn mower motors is that they do not have adapters readily made, but can be fabricated with some welding. The biggest problem that I had was the motor had to sit pretty high for the pump to be mounted below. I have seen plans that are available to buy or online, but do not like them. They do not fit me. I had some heavy wall tubing so was thinking one day why not use the tubing for the backbone of the cradle. Never saw any plans for that. Now I have a hydro tank that can act like a cooler and more compact. Then I discovered that the v design motors run at higher RPM. A 24 HP V twin pushing a 28 CFM is faster than most and now I am spoiled. I would like to use a 40 HP with two pumps, but now that is starting to seem stupid because it would be so hard to move around. Then suspension became a big issue in that either going down the freeway at 55 MPH or 4 MPH over very rough terrain needed to be addressed. Thanks

Sounds like it could be a niche market, design and build pump mounts for vertical engines? :)

Back