Carry a spare chain and change it when cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe I have ever seen this mentioned by anyone, maybe it's just me?, but I almost always find that my chain needs to be touched up the same time that it needs to be tightened. Or it needs to be tightened at the same time it needs to be touched up. Chain's slack, touch it up; cutting a little slow, tighten it too.

For me, it seems as though changing chains wouldn't be much (maybe not at all) faster what with all the fiddling to get the new chain adjusted right because I always have to readjust it after the first cut or two.

After the 1st couple of hours of use on a chain, I almost never need to tighten the chain. You may be running your saw to long on a dull chain, or have an oiler issue.

After the 1st couple of hours of use on a chain, I almost never need to tighten the chain. You may be running your saw to long on a dull chain, or have an oiler issue.

Can't say that is the case for me. What kind of chain are you running? I use Stihl rs, picco and some full chipper Oregon.

I was a chain swaper till I bought the 2 in 1 guides , now I'm a filer LOL

cs_x.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/2in1file/
http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

Definitely going to get one of these. Read the reviews and they are all great. I did notice that 98% of the reviewers are 45 years old and up. I think some of the old fogies on this site wrote the reviews.

It is rare that I fun a saw a couple of hours straight, but I haven't noticed this to be specific to any one saw or chain over the years. It just seemed to be that the chain always needs to be tightened and sharpened at the same time. Hitting dirt might be involved(?)

How many types of chain are there? Safety, chisel, semi-chisel. I think I have all three types.

I use chain files so little I don't even know if I still have any. Maybe under all the junk on the floor of my truck.
I just pull the chain and put another on, grind them when I have time. Have maybe 12 or so extra loops to cycle between 4 saws.

Everytime I have to fill up with gas and oil, I take a couple minutes and do a quick once-over on the saw. Make sure everything looks good, and I run a file on the cutters a couple strokes. Keeps the chain sharp, I keep a good eye on the condition of the saw, and it's a good excuse for a break. I carry a spare chain but only change over if the current one needs a grinder sharpening or if I hit a rock or something.
I'm not the greatest at using a grinder but I've gotten good enough to keep a chain sharp. Filing rakers is also very important. I've learned this over the years.

The way my chains are sharpened ,i just swap them out ,bring a few spares just in case ,but i can normally get couple days of cutting out of them if no dirt is involved ,i grind my chains so the cutters stay more even and run a high raker ,i like an aggressive chain ,but not a grabby one

I made a mistake and took all my chains to a Stihl dealer for sharping. Got them back and they were OK until I filed a couple. One had a few teeth hard, the other had a bunch too hard to file. Dunno yet what the other 7 will be like. Next time I decide to have them done it will be at a saw shop in Lewiston, Id. They hand file them.

Harry K
You must live in Clarkston

Pape is a good dealer. We use them for alot of JD parts. The local JD shop I'm not sure has ever seen a picture of a skidder, much less have parts for one.

Try hand filing using a Granberg File N Joint. You get consistent depth at 20 to 25% of the file exposed above the tooth, both angles and depth of cut (how much you take from each tooth) and get consistent results without the hazard of overheating that can be a problem with a power cutting/grinding tool. Mine fits right in the bucket of tools I carry along with my stump vice, a handful of new files and of course a spare chain. In bright sunlight I think I can see the edge I am getting better than I could in any shop.

I use the Oregon version. I may be doing something wrong because when I try to file the cutters on the other side I'm not satisfied with the file's bite. Seems like the metal screw cap that tightens up one of the angle settings interferes too much. To counteract this predicament I take the chain off the bar and put it on backwards. That seems to do the trick so far. Have you experienced noticed the same thing?

Agree. I use a file guide that sets all the angles and depth. Once set up (less than a minute) and the rest is a no brainer, no real attention needed. Flip, file 5 times, flip, wash rinse, repeat and done with a loop in less than 10 minutes (includes mounting saw in vise and set up of the jig). Can even watch TV while filing.

Harry K

Takes me close to 20 minutes I believe to get through a loop because of what I described above so I take three sharpened loops with me and change them while in the field. Since it takes me so long to file I do it at home as a sort of meditation exercise.

I'm cutting and selling mainly slab wood that was cut and banded into bundles 18 months ago. That means that I can't always avoid hitting dirt or rocks hidden in the bundle. I will touch up a chain once with the hand file, after that it gets changed out. I run Baileys Woodland pro, so at $13 a chain, I have about a dozen in the truck at most times.

Nope, up in the Palouse. Nearest Stihl dealer is only a 1/2 mile down the road from me but it is a sideline for PAPE' (formerly Arrow Machinery, John Deere dealer). Uusually I go to Potlatch, Id dealer.

Harry K
Been by your place about a zillion times, for a few years it seemed like I lived on the Clearwater, Snake, and Salmon Rivers chasing Steelhead, salmon or sturgeon. Haven't been last couple of years my friend still lives in Lewiston but works in Ft McMurray Alberta and only gets home every 6 wks. My good friend is or was he might've retired the post master in Potlatch. Really pretty good country to live in if you like the outdoors

I use the Oregon version. I may be doing something wrong because when I try to file the cutters on the other side I'm not satisfied with the file's bite. Seems like the metal screw cap that tightens up one of the angle settings interferes too much. To counteract this predicament I take the chain off the bar and put it on backwards. That seems to do the trick so far. Have you experienced noticed the same thing?

Takes me close to 20 minutes I believe to get through a loop because of what I described above so I take three sharpened loops with me and change them while in the field. Since it takes me so long to file I do it at home as a sort of meditation exercise.

A trick I picked up on this site way back when. Mount the saw upside down. That allows free access to the bar, stand at tip facing pwer head to file one side, change position to the side of the bar facing the tip to file the opposite side. Works great for me and nothing interfering.

Harry K

Been by your place about a zillion times, for a few years it seemed like I lived on the Clearwater, Snake, and Salmon Rivers chasing Steelhead, salmon or sturgeon. Haven't been last couple of years my friend still lives in Lewiston but works in Ft McMurray Alberta and only gets home every 6 wks. My good friend is or was he might've retired the post master in Potlatch. Really pretty good country to live in if you like the outdoors

Stop by then next time. Not hard to recognize, ritht on the hiway 4 miles N of Colfax, lots of trees and LOTS of wood piles. Unless so sort of emergerncy I am always home afternoon.

Harry K

A trick I picked up on this site way back when. Mount the saw upside down. That allows free access to the bar, stand at tip facing pwer head to file one side, change position to the side of the bar facing the tip to file the opposite side. Works great for me and nothing interfering.

Harry K
Stop by then next time. Not hard to recognize, ritht on the hiway 4 miles N of Colfax, lots of trees and LOTS of wood piles. Unless so sort of emergerncy I am always home afternoon.

Harry K
Been doing this for awhile but never heard about wrong side up saw, think it might work well for square cut cause you file into the tooth but no obstructions.
Thanks for the invite will try and stop next time down that way, when I go by its usually on a weekend and Arrow is closed but I drive in the see if they have any old JD wheel tractors, non yet.

Back