Chain Binding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowyrange

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just had a shop replace the oiler in my Echo 500VL. While it was in, I had them put on a new bar and chain combo. I had asked them to replace the bar with the same spec bar I brought the saw in with. After using it for the first time this weekend(ran fine all day long), I was servicing the saw and put on a freshly sharpened chain on the new bar. As I tightened the bar up, the chain I put on was binding. I tried a few other chains in my freshly sharpened stack of chains (all of which fit my old bar). Not a single chain fit…every single chain was binding. All of these chains fit the old bar. It would seem the new bar and chain from the shop are different than the old bar and all my chains. Both the new Oregon chain and all my older (but still plenty of tooth) Oregon chains are marked 72 on the drive link. According to various sources these 72 marked chains are 3/8 and .050. So if they are all .050 gauge, why are my old chains binding when they never did before? Any help is appreciated.

Make sure the shop did not put a 325 pitch bar on the saw, should be marked on the tail end of the bar. Could the should have put a .325 sprocket on the saw. The 500 came from the factory with .375 chain.

I agree the first step would be to check to see they didn't change chain pitch on you.

If the chain pitches are the same, look at the drive links on your old chains to see if they are peened out any. A worn sprocket and worn bar might run the peened links OK but the new bar will bind on the links.

I just had a shop replace the oiler in my Echo 500VL. While it was in, I had them put on a new bar and chain combo. I had asked them to replace the bar with the same spec bar I brought the saw in with. After using it for the first time this weekend(ran fine all day long), I was servicing the saw and put on a freshly sharpened chain on the new bar. As I tightened the bar up, the chain I put on was binding. I tried a few other chains in my freshly sharpened stack of chains (all of which fit my old bar). Not a single chain fit…every single chain was binding. All of these chains fit the old bar. It would seem the new bar and chain from the shop are different than the old bar and all my chains. Both the new Oregon chain and all my older (but still plenty of tooth) Oregon chains are marked 72 on the drive link. According to various sources these 72 marked chains are 3/8 and .050. So if they are all .050 gauge, why are my old chains binding when they never did before? Any help is appreciated.

I bought a (like new) used saw with extra chains and there was no chain on the bar. They wouldn't fit! Looking, they were the right pitch and gauge. Also looking, the chains had been allowed to jump off the bar. Examination revealed dings on the drive link edges that were binding in the bar groove. I used a file to dress the drive link burrs and the chains fit fine.

There were just tiny dings on the corners of the drive links in a couple areas.

The sprocket I had on has not changed. It's 3/8". The new pro-lite Oregon bar is marked 3/8, .050, 70dl. The chains I have should fit.

I did check to see if the chains were peened. It's a new term to me, but I searched it and it references wear on the rivets of the chain. Is that correct? Not much wear...some, they are used chains that I have resharpened since I bought them new.

I did check the drive links for burrs and I don't seen anything noticeable.

I REALLY appreciate all your help solving this issue.

I bought a (like new) used saw with extra chains and there was no chain on the bar. They wouldn't fit! Looking, they were the right pitch and gauge. Also looking, the chains had been allowed to jump off the bar. Examination revealed dings on the drive link edges that were binding in the bar groove. I used a file to dress the drive link burrs and the chains fit fine.

There were just tiny dings on the corners of the drive links in a couple areas.

You solved it. I had little tiny burrs on the drive links...so small you really wouldn't notice at all unless you were looking. Used a hand file and dressed them down. Chain fits fine.

Thanks a ton!

peened is mushrooming of any metal from impact. Glad to see you got it figured out and fixed with the chains. You might want to check your sprocket for wear though if they didn't replace it and your drive links were peened. Loose chains can also cause drive links to do this.

Sounds like you need a new sprocket, and maybe now a new chain too!

What are the serial numbers off of your saw?

Back