Chainsaw carrying pack for trail work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelbert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just thought I would post my solution to this problem.

I work with a volunteer organization doing trail maintenance in a NY state park. Last spring I took a chainsaw safety training class so I am permitted to use a chainsaw in the state parks to clear trails.

I am using a Kelty baby carrier for my saw. The baby carrier is built to carry weight well, and has a proper suspension with a waist strap and a good frame. The baby carrier has a fold out back leg that lets it stand up for easy loading and unloading of your 'baby'. The back leg is attached to the pack straps, so it folds in as soon as you pick up the pack. The saw fits inside nicely and the straps that are meant to go over the baby's shoulders go over the handle and keep the power head nice and secure. I have attached a spare scabbard to the side for an extra bar and chain. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the spare scabbard to allow rain to drain out of it. Where I put holes in the scabbard to tie it to the pack I tried to make sure the string will not come into contact with the chain on the spare bar, so it won't cut the string. Hanging below the body of the carrier I have a first aid kit, and raingear. The small yellow stuff sack carries a quart bottle of fuel mix, and a quart of bar oil. The yeelow sack is velcroed to the back of the pack in the small of my back. The velcro was already on the baby carrier, so all I had to do was add the velcro to the stuff sack. The fuel and oil bag sits right on top of the bottom piece of the frame, and the string to it hooks to an existing hook on the baby carrier. There are another pint, and 10 oz fuel containers tucked in the bottle holders on the back of the carrier. I always say my baby's preferred formula is 50:1.

Pictured with my 026 with an 18" bar. The spare bar is a 20". The red bag in the top in the last photo has the chaps in it, and gets tucked in next to the handle, and then the side webbing snugged down on it. Occasionally when I am hasty in putting the saw back in the pack the chaps bag falls out if I have to jostle the bag too much, but I also tie the cord for the red bag to the top of the carrier, and typically ignore the bag hanging off of it as it is not enough weight to throw off the load. I still need to work on a way to hold the helmet better. I was tucking it in the bag with the chaps, but when I went to take the pictures this afternoon I found the piece that holds the screen on one side broke. Lucky I noticed it before the local Stihl dealer closed so I could run out and grab a new visor holder before tomorrow's trail work. When I am working, if there is a bunch to cut close together I will frequently leave the chaps and helmet on while I am hiking, but this only works in cooler weather. There are snaps at the edge of the baby carrier for a hood for the top. I may try to find some nylon mesh, and attach snaps to it to go over the helmet quickly and hold it in place as shown in the photos.

As pictured and fully fueled the set up comes in at about 40 pounds. Kind of heavy for a day of walking, but it gets the gear out there. This carrier keeps the weight on my hips, and close to my back so I can hike even rough almost vertical trails with the saw secure. This does not include extra chains, scrench, wedges, lunch, and water, but that is what my swamper is for. When I get done with the hurricane Sandy blowdowns and can go back to normal trail clearing I will switch to a lighter saw.

One of the nice things about baby carriers as saw carriers is that used baby carriers are cheap. I picked up three of them at three different garage sales for $5 each. I really don't care if there is some dried drool on the carrier or if they aren't spotless, because for my use they sure won't stay spotless. The one I settled on is a deluxe one with thicker padding on the straps, and a chest strap that I find essential for rougher trail use.

If anyone has ideas to improve my rig I would love to hear them.

If these photos don't work for people let me know and I will try to figure out how to post better ones. It has been a while since I posted here, and I don't remember exactly what I did last time with the photos.

View attachment 272427View attachment 272428View attachment 272429View attachment 272430View attachment 272431

What park are you trail clearing in? just curious as i am a fellow upstate nyer. Nice setup. How far do you generally hike with this setup loaded? Do you carry an axe aswell?

Just asking because i am curious but how big of trees do you generally cut? you could get into a lighter saw and shorter bar but would give up the ability to cut bigger stuff.

I try to always carry my husky 334T when i am offroading to clear trails. i run a 14'' bar and have cut some huge trees out of the way in the past. sometimes you need to get creative and block your way in if its possible.

I may have messed up. I took a baby carrier and cut the cloth off, then took it apart, then gave up. I've got another one that I designed that I don't like. I may go back to a baby carrier with no mods.

I bought a big old frame backpack at the Goodwill Store, but I think I may sell it to some Seattle person.
It is an old REI backpack and they consider it to be "vintage" so I won't carve it up. Like the baby pack, I found it at the Goodwill store.

If I'm not working with a group, my faithful Used Dog carries the spare chain, files, wedges, etc. Dogs aren't allowed with the volunteer groups. I like to also carry gypo jugs but they too, are frowned upon.

I didn't go on any saw excursions last year.

Here is the Used Dog loaded with stuff ready to go on a close to the road trail and one at the trouble spot.

View attachment 272523View attachment 272524

"Used dog"

Another great idea! Man's best friend (in this case, woman's) comes through again. I am fortunate enough to have yet another good option with a much larger carrying capacity, a horse! He is sane enough & faithful to the point where he will just stay with me when I get off.
I may have messed up. I took a baby carrier and cut the cloth off, then took it apart, then gave up. I've got another one that I designed that I don't like. I may go back to a baby carrier with no mods.

I bought a big old frame backpack at the Goodwill Store, but I think I may sell it to some Seattle person.
It is an old REI backpack and they consider it to be "vintage" so I won't carve it up. Like the baby pack, I found it at the Goodwill store.

If I'm not working with a group, my faithful Used Dog carries the spare chain, files, wedges, etc. Dogs aren't allowed with the volunteer groups. I like to also carry gypo jugs but they too, are frowned upon.

I didn't go on any saw excursions last year.

Here is the Used Dog loaded with stuff ready to go on a close to the road trail and one at the trouble spot.

View attachment 272523View attachment 272524

Just thought I would post my solution to this problem.

I work with a volunteer organization doing trail maintenance in a NY state park. Last spring I took a chainsaw safety training class so I am permitted to use a chainsaw in the state parks to clear trails.

I am using a Kelty baby carrier for my saw. The baby carrier is built to carry weight well, and has a proper suspension with a waist strap and a good frame. The baby carrier has a fold out back leg that lets it stand up for easy loading and unloading of your 'baby'. The back leg is attached to the pack straps, so it folds in as soon as you pick up the pack. The saw fits inside nicely and the straps that are meant to go over the baby's shoulders go over the handle and keep the power head nice and secure. I have attached a spare scabbard to the side for an extra bar and chain. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the spare scabbard to allow rain to drain out of it. Where I put holes in the scabbard to tie it to the pack I tried to make sure the string will not come into contact with the chain on the spare bar, so it won't cut the string. Hanging below the body of the carrier I have a first aid kit, and raingear. The small yellow stuff sack carries a quart bottle of fuel mix, and a quart of bar oil. The yeelow sack is velcroed to the back of the pack in the small of my back. The velcro was already on the baby carrier, so all I had to do was add the velcro to the stuff sack. The fuel and oil bag sits right on top of the bottom piece of the frame, and the string to it hooks to an existing hook on the baby carrier. There are another pint, and 10 oz fuel containers tucked in the bottle holders on the back of the carrier. I always say my baby's preferred formula is 50:1.

Pictured with my 026 with an 18" bar. The spare bar is a 20". The red bag in the top in the last photo has the chaps in it, and gets tucked in next to the handle, and then the side webbing snugged down on it. Occasionally when I am hasty in putting the saw back in the pack the chaps bag falls out if I have to jostle the bag too much, but I also tie the cord for the red bag to the top of the carrier, and typically ignore the bag hanging off of it as it is not enough weight to throw off the load. I still need to work on a way to hold the helmet better. I was tucking it in the bag with the chaps, but when I went to take the pictures this afternoon I found the piece that holds the screen on one side broke. Lucky I noticed it before the local Stihl dealer closed so I could run out and grab a new visor holder before tomorrow's trail work. When I am working, if there is a bunch to cut close together I will frequently leave the chaps and helmet on while I am hiking, but this only works in cooler weather. There are snaps at the edge of the baby carrier for a hood for the top. I may try to find some nylon mesh, and attach snaps to it to go over the helmet quickly and hold it in place as shown in the photos.

As pictured and fully fueled the set up comes in at about 40 pounds. Kind of heavy for a day of walking, but it gets the gear out there. This carrier keeps the weight on my hips, and close to my back so I can hike even rough almost vertical trails with the saw secure. This does not include extra chains, scrench, wedges, lunch, and water, but that is what my swamper is for. When I get done with the hurricane Sandy blowdowns and can go back to normal trail clearing I will switch to a lighter saw.

One of the nice things about baby carriers as saw carriers is that used baby carriers are cheap. I picked up three of them at three different garage sales for $5 each. I really don't care if there is some dried drool on the carrier or if they aren't spotless, because for my use they sure won't stay spotless. The one I settled on is a deluxe one with thicker padding on the straps, and a chest strap that I find essential for rougher trail use.

If anyone has ideas to improve my rig I would love to hear them.

If these photos don't work for people let me know and I will try to figure out how to post better ones. It has been a while since I posted here, and I don't remember exactly what I did last time with the photos.

View attachment 272427View attachment 272428View attachment 272429View attachment 272430View attachment 272431

That is awesome!

Can't wait until you meet some young mother complaining how crule you are putting a helmet on your childs head! :D

Rep&like sent!

What park are you trail clearing in? just curious as i am a fellow upstate nyer. Nice setup. How far do you generally hike with this setup loaded? Do you carry an axe aswell?

Just asking because i am curious but how big of trees do you generally cut? you could get into a lighter saw and shorter bar but would give up the ability to cut bigger stuff.

I try to always carry my husky 334T when i am offroading to clear trails. i run a 14'' bar and have cut some huge trees out of the way in the past. sometimes you need to get creative and block your way in if its possible.

I'm actually a njer, and clearing trails in Rockland County ny. I don't carry an axe, the second bar and chain is how I bail myself out if needed. I mostly use this setup for areas with a lot of blowdowns close together. My intention is to switch to a lighter saw when I get to days with more carrying than cutting, but I have not picked up the spare bar and chains for any of my smaller saws yet. That said today I did 9 miles with this rig and cleared 35 blowdowns from the trails.

I use the 026 for the large quantity of stuff we have right now post Sandy. Even if all the trees aren't huge, it takes a lot less time with 3+HP vs the 1.6 HP my little MS170 has. If I can get the 012 to stop dripping bar oil when carried vertically that may become my preferred trail saw, a lot of gumption for a little power head. The trees I see vary from 8" that I think the trail maintainers should do with a hand saw, to about 30"-36". Some of the challenge post Sandy are the piles where you really have to get through the stuff from one side, because you can't get access to cut from the other side. The 18" bar has worked well for a lot of those piles where most of the stuff in the pile is 18" or less with just a couple bigger ones randomly thrown in.

A photo from today's outing. The upright self standing is a nice feature in the snow.
View attachment 272675

Last edited:

Use the baby carrier as-is. Drop the bar down one of the leg holes, but that may be tough with the size of bar you are carrying in that photo.

I know other sawyers who just attached a square plastic milk crate to a pack frame, and punched a hole in the bottom the milk crate for the bar to stick through. I didn't like carrying that pack, because the saw bounced around to much ,and the weight was too far off of your back so it really pulled on your shoulders.

Another sawyer I know took a large internal frame pack, cut all of the side pockets off one side and attached a scabbard to that side. He drops the bar in the scabbard, and says all the weight of the other gear in the pack balance the saw hanging off the side. He can carry more gear than I can, but I don't think his rig is as balanced, though I have never carried it. I think my approach protects my baby's head better (or maybe I mean powerhead). I'm not sure I would want to be able to carry more as I am already at about my pack weight limit.

Can't wait until you meet some young mother complaining how crule you are putting a helmet on your childs head! :D

Rep&like sent!

Met a woman today who said "I have a pack like that at home." I suggested that she probably used it a bit differently than I do. One of her friends commented on my heading out into the woods with a hard hat, she didn't notice the chainsaw under it. I guess if you are not standing on the side with the bar hanging down, the saw is not that noticeable.

Craigslist searches for 'baby carrier' just skyrocketed! :msp_scared:

From time to time I have searched CL looking for baby carriers hoping for one of the fancy higher end ones, with more pouches, carrying pockets, and maybe a rain cover over the top to protect my 'baby'. People on craigslist always want real money for them, like $40-$50. I like garage sales, especially late in the day where the people are desperate to get the stuff out of their house. I got one of these at a community group garage sale at the end of the day when they were packing up and didn't want to take any of the stuff home. I think I could have offered fifty cents and had them go for it. There were lots of piles of hosewares that said 'free' at that point.

I like that set-up and also the great idea that the baby-carrier packs can be had for a few dollars at yard sales.

I maintain the 30+ miles of hiking trails in my town. My gear consists of an old external frame backpack that holds my chaps, helmet, tools, oil, fuel, hand saw, extra chain, first aid, food and beverages.

What about the saw? Well, the load of gear just mentioned all fits easily withing the confines of the back pack. Once I'm done clearing a section of trail, I load up the pack, put it on my back and then the final thing I do before moving on is to grab the saw and put it over my shoulder. The powerhead rests on top of the pack and I just hold the bar.

For this to work safely, you need a full-length scabbard just like slowp showed in her photo.

I've been taking my 066 out recently because after Sandy there's been a heck of a mess on some trails and I realized the bucking dogs are digging into the back of my neck when the saw is balanced on the pack. I think I need some sort of "dog cover" so that I don't trip and puncture my jugular.

Latest posts

Back