• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Changing to sub categories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. ArboristSite

The Judge
Reaction score
Hey guys....many sponsors etc have been asking to separate things out because you can post an item and it is buried in one day. We hope this will help. We will work on moving threads to their proper categories over time. Please post in the proper categories so we don't have to move them.
Thanks!!

Those are all the ads that were placed before we set up subcategories. They will eventually be categorized but there are 200 pages of them so it will take time. Please use the subcategories for any new listing but you can still search the threads below.

The entire forum is Tradin' Post ads. We are just trying to make it easier to search for what you want to list or buy. The way it is now, if you list a chipper then your ad gets buried in one day by all the chainsaws and parts that are listed. It gets bumped to the 3rd page right away. We need to categorize to help people get their ads seen faster and help people search for the items they want to buy easier. I cannot make an all category because then all posts would be listed twice. Once in the appropriate category and once in the "all" category. Sorry if it is an inconvenience to look in separate categories but it really is the best option we have to help sellers and buyers.

The entire forum is Tradin' Post ads. We are just trying to make it easier to search for what you want to list or buy. The way it is now, if you list a chipper then your ad gets buried in one day by all the chainsaws and parts that are listed. It gets bumped to the 3rd page right away. We need to categorize to help people get their ads seen faster and help people search for the items they want to buy easier. I cannot make an all category because then all posts would be listed twice. Once in the appropriate category and once in the "all" category. Sorry if it is an inconvenience to look in separate categories but it really is the best option we have to help sellers and buyers.

To make it even easier for Buyers, why not implement some form of software code that doesn't allow ads to be posted without headers? The instructions are very simple to follow, yet some seem to disregard, or have disdain for instructions.

Also, auto close ads that have been inactive for a set number of days. This would be very beneficial for those ads where the item has Sold, yet the Seller is unable, or unwilling to change the header.

By the way, did you receive my PM from a few weeks ago about removing the "delete" option from Want To Sell threads?

To make it even easier for Buyers, why not implement some form of software code that doesn't allow ads to be posted without headers? The instructions are very simple to follow, yet some seem to disregard, or have disdain for instructions.

Also, auto close ads that have been inactive for a set number of days. This would be very beneficial for those ads where the item has Sold, yet the Seller is unable, or unwilling to change the header.

By the way, did you receive my PM from a few weeks ago about removing the "delete" option from Want To Sell threads?

Double like for the added cricket sound effect.

And I don't know about you guys but I will never go to the want to buy subcat. You want those ads to be in the high traffic area. We all have a few saws and a few parts lying around and often forget what we have just collecting dust. Those ads jog our memory prompting us to reply.

Prefixes are now REQUIRED per a comment in here.
Deletion I agree with. Here is what I am running into. If I make it so you cannot delete/edit....you can then not edit to make your prefix say "Sold!!!".
I could change it to that and then make it so you have to report the post. Once you report a post then a mod can edit that. Does that seem like something that would work for everyone?

Darin,

I'm glad to hear prefixes are now required.

Being able to edit is crucial to Trading Post listings, for the addition of pictures, further information, or marking specific items as "Sold" within an ad for multiple items. I thought that since the "delete" and "edit" features are separate icons, they shouldn't be mutually excluding.

Any thoughts on an Autolock on ads without activity for a set number of days?

Darin,

I'm glad to hear prefixes are now required.

Being able to edit is crucial to Trading Post listings, for the addition of pictures, further information, or marking specific items as "Sold" within an ad for multiple items. I thought that since the "delete" and "edit" features are separate icons, they shouldn't be mutually excluding.

Any thoughts on an Autolock on ads without activity for a set number of days?
I 100% agree. But what is going to stop the shady seller from editing out the inaccurate description and/or pictures?

I am not sure what the solution to that problem is.

You can definitely see both sides of the editing thing. I see the side where you need to update all, then I see the other side where somebody is shady and edit's the ad for their own good.
Let me ask you this. For a small fee on larger items (like $10 or so for saws) would anyone be willing to do a escrow with me? I confirm to the parties that I have received the money and the other party sends the equipment. Once it's received I can release the money. I hate seeing guys get hosed on the site. If it were a check....I would need to deposit it so I can make sure it clears for the seller as well. I will have to check how this would work for my tax liability (paying people direct out of my bank account). If it's something worth exploring I will look into it. You guys let me know.
Also, I am working on implementing a feedback system (similar to ebay). If the seller sucks then you can leave feedback for him. If he is great. Let people know!!
Let me know what you think of these ideas.

You can definitely see both sides of the editing thing. I see the side where you need to update all, then I see the other side where somebody is shady and edit's the ad for their own good.
Let me ask you this. For a small fee on larger items (like $10 or so for saws) would anyone be willing to do a escrow with me? I confirm to the parties that I have received the money and the other party sends the equipment. Once it's received I can release the money. I hate seeing guys get hosed on the site. If it were a check....I would need to deposit it so I can make sure it clears for the seller as well. I will have to check how this would work for my tax liability (paying people direct out of my bank account). If it's something worth exploring I will look into it. You guys let me know.
Also, I am working on implementing a feedback system (similar to ebay). If the seller sucks then you can leave feedback for him. If he is great. Let people know!!
Let me know what you think of these ideas.

Darin,
I think you have some good ideas here and they are a great place to at least start from. I appreciate your efforts, you listening to vetted/veteran members and being willing to be the middleman or exchange bank for purchases. I just think it's pretty sad that it has to come to the point where two people/adults can't complete a simple financial transaction of funds for goods or services rendered without having to involve a middle man/third party. If you go down this road, I would strongly suggest that you make this a feature/opion and Not a requirement for this site. I think that this may be a nice optional feature for the buyer or seller if eithe party is unsure if the integrity of the other party. But personally, I don't think that anyone really needs to be involved with the personal details/arrangements of my transactions in general. However, I do certianly think that a buyer/seller rating or scoring system (calculated or driven from feedback results) would be a huge step in the right direction regardless. The catch to such a system is that there needs to be a "three strikes and you are out" (or something similar) where members get put on probation/blacklisted etc. and then if they do not improve- they are banned indefinitely. But you have to be willing to enforce that type of rule for it to have any merit or teeth. I hope these suggestions help. It's a wonderful site that you have here and I have some excellent tools as a result of it, not to mention some very good friendships that will probably last a life time. Good luck with the methods to flush out the riffraff- it's appreciated! :)

Latest posts

Back