Portawrap alternatives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howsitgoineh

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to post a quick question in regards to rigging with different friction devices. At work we have usually used the portawrap at the base, and a natural crotch, pulley, or friction ring up top. We've also busted out the grcs once in a while for tricky large limbs.

Reason I ask about alternatives is because I do a fair bit of work on the side, and also sometimes use a quick easy method with what's on hand at the time. I have rigged through a heavy duty carabiner, and also a figure 8 device. Works alright for me, just wondering if anyone here has used anything else for friction management when rigging.

Have a great day!
-Pat

What don't you like about the portawrap? I mean there are more expensive options out there, but I don't feel like they really work any better than a good old portawrap. Its as close to idiot proof as you can really get, and I always liked the fact that it was pretty easy to visually check from up in the tree... I mean if the groundie rigged it wrong, it's pretty easy to spot from a distance.

What don't you like about the portawrap? I mean there are more expensive options out there, but I don't feel like they really work any better than a good old portawrap. Its as close to idiot proof as you can really get, and I always liked the fact that it was pretty easy to visually check from up in the tree... I mean if the groundie rigged it wrong, it's pretty easy to spot from a distance.
I do very much like using the portawrap. I haven't got one for myself yet but I do plan on getting one in the near future. I'm curious about the various sizes I know there are small and medium ones as well as the large we have at work.

I ask mostly out of curiosity I guess, cause I like to know all different kinds of ways to get a job done. Currently the heavy beaner and a figure 8 work well for me. Just wondering if there were other creative ways to get it done

I do very much like using the portawrap. I haven't got one for myself yet but I do plan on getting one in the near future. I'm curious about the various sizes I know there are small and medium ones as well as the large we have at work.

I ask mostly out of curiosity I guess, cause I like to know all different kinds of ways to get a job done. Currently the heavy beaner and a figure 8 work well for me. Just wondering if there were other creative ways to get it done
Gotcha. Beaner and figure 8 work fine for light rigging, they were always on my saddle for a quick rig. Once you get past that, I still never found anything I liked better than the portawrap... they just kind of got it right the first time...

any device that stays put like a Stein or GRCS bollard, I have a portawrap, I take it to work on small jobs but the fixed bollard is super nice

in a pinch, a tri ball trailer hitch works also! I've also quite commonly done a speedline strap choked to a recovery eye on the bucket truck with a munter, to lock it off just tie a slip knot and hook it over something on the truck capable of holding 30-40 pounds

one advantage to a porty however, is the ability to use a steel biner and hook it to anything, safety chain eye on the truck, undercarriage of the mini or excavator, etc

Branch manager grapple bollards are sweet too, "rated" at 200 pounds but I've rigged way more than that, especially pulling trees over with it

any device that stays put like a Stein or GRCS bollard, I have a portawrap, I take it to work on small jobs but the fixed bollard is super nice

in a pinch, a tri ball trailer hitch works also! I've also quite commonly done a speedline strap choked to a recovery eye on the bucket truck with a munter, to lock it off just tie a slip knot and hook it over something on the truck capable of holding 30-40 pounds

one advantage to a porty however, is the ability to use a steel biner and hook it to anything, safety chain eye on the truck, undercarriage of the mini or excavator, etc

Branch manager grapple bollards are sweet too, "rated" at 200 pounds but I've rigged way more than that, especially pulling trees over with it
Nice! I keep a tri-ball in my pickup I think I'll try it out sometime, thanks.
Straps do come in handy too. I've found tons of uses for them on the regular

I do think a small portawrap would be a good purchase for me, but I like to work with what I got

Hey all, just wanted to post a quick question in regards to rigging with different friction devices. At work we have usually used the portawrap at the base, and a natural crotch, pulley, or friction ring up top. We've also busted out the grcs once in a while for tricky large limbs.

Reason I ask about alternatives is because I do a fair bit of work on the side, and also sometimes use a quick easy method with what's on hand at the time. I have rigged through a heavy duty carabiner, and also a figure 8 device. Works alright for me, just wondering if anyone here has used anything else for friction management when rigging.

Have a great day!
-Pat
Simple fast methos used for years is a crotch and tell my guys take a wrap on nearby tree!

I think the stein may be the best, I use a porta wrap. If I could do it over again it would be the stein. You said it was for side jobs so you prolly won't have a all star groundie. The stein is easier for them than the portawrap, I know it's not complicated but I've seen guys have a hard time even after a 5 minute lesson before going up. I've gone for a few rides from improper use. I have bad eyes so I can't see if it's on right once I'm past like 30ish'. Side jobs are pretty much over for me now, nj tree commission started cracking down 4/5 years ago

Back