Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, don't compliment me - all the compliments go to members on this list who helped me put ours back together last year (a woman who never even changed oil on a car!)

There's a whole sub-group of Didier owners here on the list. A lot of owners have remodeled their Did's basically to raise the height. The tires are small so it sits low to the ground but I am short so Did's height doesn't bother me too much.

Attached is a pic of ours in process of being put back together. I was originally a bit embarrassed that good ol' "Did" is so greasy so I was going to clean it off but thought better of it as it sits outside all the time with just a tarp on it.

P1010070.jpg

"Did" has new hoses now, routed a bit different than shown in the photo. He hasn't let me down yet!

By the way, vintage is in the 1970's somewhere.

Shari

Shari I was wondering if you could send me the manual you sent other people on this forum. Just got a didier splitter given to me and putting it back together. My email is [email protected].
Thanks Jake

Hello all.....I recently bought a splitter off by buddy who moved south and he owned it for close to 30 yrs. After finding this thread I think I have a Dieder. Can anyone confirm and if so what model it may be. There obviously have been some mods. But is all original except for 2 yr. Old Honda gc160 motor. I paid 200$ for splitter and a excellent cond husky 455 a few months ago. Thanks for any info.
20150817_085537_zpsifg3flrz.jpg
20150817_085222_zps4ojs6smb.jpg
20150817_085207_zpswqyshqnv.jpg
20150427_071710_zpsljw80jnh.jpg

Hello all.....I recently bought a splitter off by buddy who moved south and he owned it for close to 30 yrs. After finding this thread I think I have a Dieder. Can anyone confirm and if so what model it may be. There obviously have been some mods. But is all original except for 2 yr. Old Honda gc160 motor. I paid 200$ for splitter and a excellent cond husky 455 a few months ago. Thanks for any info.

I'm far from the expert here and hopefully someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong but from the info I gathered when I was researching mine it looks like it started life as an MF or MFD 26. Telltales are the side mounted control valve, the reservoir size, and piston stroke (looks like a 26" cylinder - can't tell for sure from the pics though). Whether it was an MF or MFD would largely have depended on what hitch and tires it came with. If the ball style that it has now is the same style as what it came with originally it would have been an MFD 26. Pin style hitch would have been an MF 26.

You appear to be missing a #8 bolt on the ram slide plate in the last picture (there should be 3 in a row not 2).

I noticed someone scabbed on additional side plates on the wedge - hmm, mine was never modded like that and I don't have any problem. I might think increasing the thickness of the wedge would cause a need for more 'power' to split the round = more stress on the beam (and it's a narrower beam to begin with so watch out for torquing of the beam). I'm happy with my original wedge.

Ok.....would you recommend they be removed ? I know they have been on for 5-6 years...so far no probs. He usually split about 15 or so cords a year and yes I do know about the missing bolt....I just keep forgetting to pull one out when I go to home depo and match it up. Thanks

No the beam is solid....there is a plate welded on top that the ram slides , slide on. If thats what you were asking about. If not no the beam is solid.
And yes after looking at the chart on page 1 here I figured it was the lmf 19...was my guess anyway. Thanks guys

So after reading all these posts I am fairly certain that my Montgomery ward splitter is built by didier. I stumbled on to this thread from a Google search trying to find parts. A local search and Internet sear turned up nothing. This thread was by far the most enlightening. Like many of the other posts this cylinder is leaking around the rod. It took a bit to figure out how to get it disassembled, but was pretty much as described in this thread.

Like so many other have asked.....can I get a manual that may show this particular model.....or something close?

So after reading all these posts I am fairly certain that my Montgomery ward splitter is built by didier. I stumbled on to this thread from a Google search trying to find parts. A local search and Internet sear turned up nothing. This thread was by far the most enlightening. Like many of the other posts this cylinder is leaking around the rod. It took a bit to figure out how to get it disassembled, but was pretty much as described in this thread.

Like so many other have asked.....can I get a manual that may show this particular model.....or something close?

File sent

Files sent.

Have fun!

Just joined and have been reading a few of the Didier posts. Mine needs a valve control (?), the toggle/handle mechanism that changes directions of the piston. Any advice on where to find this part? The valve appears to have 3/4" input/output on the sides and 1/2" input/output on the front and rear.

Also, if you could forward a parts diagram and/or repair manual I would appreciate that. Thanks!

ken [email protected]

Just joined and have been reading a few of the Didier posts. Mine needs a valve control (?), the toggle/handle mechanism that changes directions of the piston. Any advice on where to find this part? The valve appears to have 3/4" input/output on the sides and 1/2" input/output on the front and rear.

Also, if you could forward a parts diagram and/or repair manual I would appreciate that. Thanks!

ken [email protected]

Ken,

File(s) being sent to you. As far as parts: Either a farm implement dealer or hydraulic repair shop. I'm sure other list members will have other suggestions. :)

Shari

Hi All

I have just joined and need some help please.
I have an older Didier (age unknown) but looks very similar to everyone else s.

the question I have is how do I increase the cycle time of the ram. My Didier currently has 13-second total (out to all the way back in.)

We replaced the original 5-h.p. briggs and stratton with a 6.5 h.p. harbor freight engine. (great engine and easy replacement).
And we put a 4-way wedge so the logs split into 4-pieces but I would like to outward speed before contact with the log and the return speed to be must faster.

Does anyone has any suggestions ?

Best Regards
David

The only way to shorten cycle time would be to increase the pump size with a matching engine. The present pump is probably a 11 gpm 2-stage,your new engine would handle a 13 gpm 2-stage but the change would be barely noticeable. The next step would be a 16 gpm pump with a 8 hp. engine.

Back