Upgrade control valve on Didier MFD 26 splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorbrody

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been using this Didier MFD26 for about 10 years and it's been great for splitting 5 cords of mostly black birch and sugar maple every year. I like how low to the ground it is - I can work on my knees and load the split wood into a trailer behind me. Apparently a detent valve was an option on the Didier but mine didn't come with it. Is there an auto-return splitter valve that would drop right in and not require re-plumbing all the hoses and hard lines? Thanks!

PXL_20221122_201850921.jpg

I can just make out Cross Mfg's logo on the valve. Cross makes a pressure detented log splitter valve that looks as though it may be the same body as your valve. Safest way to be sure it's a drop-in is to get the Cross p/n of your valve and either inquire of Cross or download the literature on both valves and make the comparison yourself. Pay particular attention to the ports -- size and SAE vs. NPT, etc.

For example:
https://northernhydraulics.net/cata...ross-single-spool-log-splitter-valve-650.html

That looks like a Cross valve. If you google up Part number 108360 for Cross valves that should be the one you need. I ran one on a homemade wood splittter for years there good valves. I think the model is CD11FCAO

That's really helpful - thanks. It's hard to want to spend $250 on a splitter that's probably worth $500, but a lot cheaper than getting the Timberwolf that I really want :)
Last winter I did some upgrades on a splitter for a friend of a friend. Put about three grand of just parts in the splitter. Only labor was to get the hyd cylinder rebuilt by a hyd shop. Parts are high. But they got a new engine, pump, valve, log lift and hoses. This splitter will now run them till there done burning wood. Something new like what they have now would be ten to fifteen grand. If you like the splitter, put a new valve on it and enjoy the detent.

I bought the Cross CD11FCAO - unfortunately it looks like I'll have to plumb the workports in the opposite orientation of my old valve so the detent engages on the return stroke. So I need 2 new hoses and fittings, and I want to install a spin on filter housing while I'm at it. Wish I could get a bigger oil reservoir that fits the 10"x5.5" footprint of the stock 1 gallon tank but I haven't found anything off the shelf.

Just an update on the project: The Didier is reassembled and running great. I had some stainless hard lines made so I wouldn't have a rat's nest of hydraulic hoses. The original hard lines wouldn't work because all the new detent valves are plumbed in reverse of the 1970s Cross valve. Valve mounting holes were identical though. Added a spin-on filter and new hoses. Then I got a little crazy and painted some parts, and made some water slide decals :)

I am aware that the fittings on the return line are Schedule 40 - plenty of pressure holding ability for the return side.

Maybe I'll get a 13gpm pump and a bigger reserve tank this year to speed things up a bit, but I expect finally having a detent valve is going to save me a fair amount of time this year. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Attachments

• PXL_20230311_204534866.jpg
    PXL_20230311_204534866.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230311_204547961.jpg
    PXL_20230311_204547961.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
Back