Do you dry your wood in IBC totes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 479564 I'm going try leaving it to season in the tote's. Anything to cut down on handling. This is how much wood in a tote a Kubota BX will lift with bucket forks, might do a little better with the bucket off and pallet forks on. I'll have to put them on and see. When I fill them up, I'm going to have to use my bigger loader.

That Kubota will probably handle a full tote once the wood is dry. You can always fill your hoe up with some dirt and see if that helps with the counter balance weight.

Just bought 2 that held motor oil in them for $30 a piece. Cheap in these parts, unless you know someone that can get them from wherever... I'm gutting the plastic. Actually thinking about using it to make a log drag or a sled for the snow behind the quad.....

I think its rated for about 500lbs, its small but very convenient. A handy machine to have around, I call it a diesel wheelbarrow. I was just moving some wood to the house. I tossed wood in until it wouldn't lift it anymore. Wood is between 8 and 10% moisture, mixed Oak,Hickory and a little bit of Cherry and Maple. I think it would pick up more if I put the pallet forks on instead of forks on the bucket. The bucket forks increase the arm while the pallet forks pick up at the loader arm pins where the bucket would mount. Doug

That Kubota will probably handle a full tote once the wood is dry. You can always fill your hoe up with some dirt and see if that helps with the counter balance weight.

Have you had the bolt on forks damage your bucket? I just got a set, now I'm thinking I should get the three point forks.
b785c6b0525c11d8593488f5eb412508.jpg

look at all those totes....green with envy here!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had the bolt on forks damage your bucket? I just got a set, now I'm thinking I should get the three point forks.

I don't know about damage to the bucket, but if your thinking about 3pt forks I would recommend these. I bought a set a year ago and I think they were around $250 shipped to my door. I have them on the front of a little bobcat so I haven't verified the capacity.

http://www.agrisupply.com/pallet-forks/p/72511/

I don't think I would do bolt on forks on the front - rather the ones that swap out for your bucket. That's a LOT of extra leverage for that weight to raise your back tires. Which also increases the load on your whole front end, in a bad sort of way.

Those forks that go on the buckets are bad news, IMO. They give you a false sense of accomplishment and really throw off the geometry of your FEL system. Get a set designed to work with your system, even if it costs a little more. They are safer and more capable. That little tractor will not lift a loaded IBC tote. Not even with counter weight. My tractor with a bigger chasis sometimes gets squirly with a loaded tote of green wood. I have the bigger frame and more HP too. Just sayin

Skid steer would easily lift a tote. Mine has no trouble lifting slab bundles, they are a cord or so.

SKid steers are built for that - sub-compacts are not. Many people get in trouble trying to do too much with those little machines because they don't do the math. I've done it with mine and was luck enough to not kill myself. These aren't toys.

SKid steers are built for that - sub-compacts are not. Many people get in trouble trying to do too much with those little machines because they don't do the math. I've done it with mine and was luck enough to not kill myself. These aren't toys.

I used one once, it couldn't even handle a somewhat full bucket of gravel without standing on its nose. Was a joke!
My Dad was saying his Kioti can only lift like 700lbs. Fine for moving mulch around or partial buckets of gravel I guess.
He mostly uses the tractor to plow and snowblow.

I know FEL on real tractors are really rough on the front end. A friend owns a dairy farm, after years if destroying tractors, he finally bought an actual FEL (like a CAT IT28)

Picked up 9 the other day for $10 a pop. Just gonna toss splits in them from now on as I got plenty of totes.

Maybe with the right forks on that tractor, it would handle a loaded tote. My skidloader has no problem moving them. I have a couple homebuilt steel pallets that hold about 2/3 cord, no lie, and it will dance on the front wheels. Skiddy is rated for 1850 pounds, no lack of power and it will lift a lot more if I put weights on rear, which I don't want to do.

I love em

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 42
I have a few over 100 totes, I love them! I get them for free as needed and trim a portion of one side off. that way I can reach in and stack the wood. I tend to go a little over level full and line them up in rows. I do not have space issues so I chose not to try and stack 2 high. It is nice to just keep a tally on number of totes brought in throughout the winter and then figure cords at the end. I have a kubota L48 to move them around with so I have never had an issue with them getting to heavy. The issue I do run into is them freezing to the ground and damaging them as I pop them loose. Every spring I end up scrapping a handful and getting new ones to replace the broken.

I have a few over 100 totes, I love them! I get them for free as needed and trim a portion of one side off. that way I can reach in and stack the wood. I tend to go a little over level full and line them up in rows. I do not have space issues so I chose not to try and stack 2 high. It is nice to just keep a tally on number of totes brought in throughout the winter and then figure cords at the end. I have a kubota L48 to move them around with so I have never had an issue with them getting to heavy. The issue I do run into is them freezing to the ground and damaging them as I pop them loose. Every spring I end up scrapping a handful and getting new ones to replace the broken.

You should set them on splits under each corner so they won't freeze to the ground - or something. Seems a shame to have to throw some out every year - they're pretty hard to come by here, and most places by the looks of the replies.

Source (type of business, not necessarily the name and address!)?

Philbert

I used to work for a company that ends up pulling out the plastic, smashing the tote, and filling the scrap dumpster with them. It's cheaper for me to take them then for them to smash them and haul a scrap dumpster with very little weight in it. Even when scrap was decent, I have to believe is still didnt pay all that well. I no longer work there but have stayed in touch with quite a few people there and still can pick them up whenever I feel like I need more totes. Having all those totes full is great, its when they are empty its kinda an eye sore so I am not currently collecting more.

You should set them on splits under each corner so they won't freeze to the ground - or something. Seems a shame to have to throw some out every year - they're pretty hard to come by here, and most places by the looks of the replies.

If I no longer can get them I certainly will need to preserve what I have, for now it just isn't worth the hassle. I put them in rows of 12 so anything I put down I will still have to pry off the ground before continuing down the row. If I were to loose my hookup, I will have to take the time but for now it's just not worth it. I do put 5 or 7 cords worth in the barn so when the outside totes are frozen I can always go grab ones from the barn. That has been my fix to the issue so far. I have a CB 2300 OWB heating 4500+ sq ft early 1800's farmhouse, and about 2000 sq ft garage, so I run through some wood in the winter.

Latest posts

Back