Do you dry your wood in IBC totes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about damage to the bucket, but if your thinking about 3pt forks I would recommend these. I bought a set a year ago and I think they were around $250 shipped to my door. I have them on the front of a little bobcat so I haven't verified the capacity.

http://www.agrisupply.com/pallet-forks/p/72511/

Just bought a set. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work for a company that ends up pulling out the plastic, smashing the tote, and filling the scrap dumpster with them. It's cheaper for me to take them then for them to smash them and haul a scrap dumpster with very little weight in it. Even when scrap was decent, I have to believe is still didnt pay all that well. I no longer work there but have stayed in touch with quite a few people there and still can pick them up whenever I feel like I need more totes. Having all those totes full is great, its when they are empty its kinda an eye sore so I am not currently collecting more.

If I no longer can get them I certainly will need to preserve what I have, for now it just isn't worth the hassle. I put them in rows of 12 so anything I put down I will still have to pry off the ground before continuing down the row. If I were to loose my hookup, I will have to take the time but for now it's just not worth it. I do put 5 or 7 cords worth in the barn so when the outside totes are frozen I can always go grab ones from the barn. That has been my fix to the issue so far. I have a CB 2300 OWB heating 4500+ sq ft early 1800's farmhouse, and about 2000 sq ft garage, so I run through some wood in the winter.
Where in pa are you?

Just bought a set. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked locally at tractor supply and didn't like what I saw. The ones from agrisupply are less than what I could have bought materials to make them with. I've had about half a ton on them which is tipping weight.

I looked locally at tractor supply and didn't like what I saw. The ones from agrisupply are less than what I could have bought materials to make them with. I've had about half a ton on them which is tipping weight.

Yep, it's nice. But my B2920 doesn't like picking up full totes, in fact I could barely get it off the ground with dry wood in it. Time for a bigger tractor...[emoji35]JJ just gonna use them for storage at this point.

I used to work for a company that ends up pulling out the plastic, smashing the tote, and filling the scrap dumpster with them. It's cheaper for me to take them then for them to smash them and haul a scrap dumpster with very little weight in it. Even when scrap was decent, I have to believe is still didnt pay all that well. I no longer work there but have stayed in touch with quite a few people there and still can pick them up whenever I feel like I need more totes. Having all those totes full is great, its when they are empty its kinda an eye sore so I am not currently collecting more.

If I no longer can get them I certainly will need to preserve what I have, for now it just isn't worth the hassle. I put them in rows of 12 so anything I put down I will still have to pry off the ground before continuing down the row. If I were to loose my hookup, I will have to take the time but for now it's just not worth it. I do put 5 or 7 cords worth in the barn so when the outside totes are frozen I can always go grab ones from the barn. That has been my fix to the issue so far. I have a CB 2300 OWB heating 4500+ sq ft early 1800's farmhouse, and about 2000 sq ft garage, so I run through some wood in the winter.

You'd likely do pretty good reselling them to forum members. :)

You should set them on splits under each corner so they won't freeze to the ground - or something. Seems a shame to have to throw some out every year - they're pretty hard to come by here, and most places by the looks of the replies.

I'm trying wood chips this year. I also lose a couple every year to the frozen mud. I'm hoping the wood chips will give enough to let the tote go. Or better yet, keep the totes from sinking in the mud in the first place.

Just get some cheap timbers, coat them in used motor oil and lay them on the ground. 8 footers will hold 2 totes. Keep them elevated just enough. Or, cinder blocks.

Just get some cheap timbers, coat them in used motor oil and lay them on the ground. 8 footers will hold 2 totes. Keep them elevated just enough. Or, cinder blocks.

That is all fine and good until you have to drive over them as you work your way back the row. Sure with a little thought and care you can get something setup that is narrower than the tractor tires, but then add uneven ground and other stuff. it just becomes a lot of work for something I can replace for free. Then to boot after one breaks, I have a tote to fill with scrap metal and just push the entire thing off at the scrap yard.

You'd likely do pretty good reselling them to forum members. :)

HAHA, yea I probably could. I have sold a few to people I know for cheap, just to cover my fuel to go get them.

Where in pa are you?

I am in western Lancaster country

Here is what I use, skid totes. 3" deckmates to screw them together and best of all skids were free from work. As far as the weight, I had a full skidtote of fresh oak with nothing on the 3pt and I had the back ties coming off the ground. Put it down real easy and backed off on the load. Full skid dry with the back hoe or snow blower, no troubles.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Here is what I use, skid totes. 3" deckmates to screw them together and best of all skids were free from work. As far as the weight, I had a full skidtote of fresh oak with nothing on the 3pt and I had the back ties coming off the ground. Put it down real easy and backed off on the load. Full skid dry with the back hoe or snow blower, no troubles.

That's exactly what I started off doing before I was able to get the metal totes. Problem is I found the skids only last 2 years until they are rotting and breaking down.

That is all fine and good until you have to drive over them as you work your way back the row. Sure with a little thought and care you can get something setup that is narrower than the tractor tires, but then add uneven ground and other stuff. it just becomes a lot of work for something I can replace for free. Then to boot after one breaks, I have a tote to fill with scrap metal and just push the entire thing off at the scrap yard.

HAHA, yea I probably could. I have sold a few to people I know for cheap, just to cover my fuel to go get them.

I am in western Lancaster country
That's probably 2 hours from me...hoping I was closer.

Back