Does this look like 7 cord (log length) to you? Or did I get gypped?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You haven't said how long the pile is. An average length would be good for an estimate. Note that all you are getting on here are estimates. And you don't need to cut and split it to determine the volume of the wood. You do need to measure because one develops an eye for estimating cords of wood.
Here's how the pros do it.
http://www.ibsp.idaho.gov/2_HOW TO DETERMINE THE SCALE OF A LOG.htm

Yes, that is for timber but it is similar. You won't need to take deductions out for defect. Now, in a perfect world is a perfect PNW log truck load with perfect logs. One of our log trucks hauls close to 5000 board feet per load (WAG rounded up). That is around 10 cords. So, if you are concerned, measure (scale) your logs and do the math. There are lots of volume tables on line and I'm sure east coast ones as well.

I passed my scale tape on to Madhatte.

Bought log length this year for the first time. Wanted to make my life a little easier for the next couple years. Took me a little bit to find someone to deliver up to me ( live on the side of a mountain ) but I finally found someone that would truck it to me.

Today I got my delivery and looking at it, I'm having a hard time picturing this being 7 cord. But to be fair I have never seen what 7 cord looks like in log length so maybe it's just me. Paid $785 delivered. What do you experts think? For reference I am 6'3"

I hope you make out ok. $785 is not bad I am starting to see loads going for $1000 for the 7-8 cord load. There is a lot less log loads for sale anymore, I think they got processors and make a ton more money on the cut split cords.

I'd say average length is 13' - 14'

You haven't said how long the pile is. An average length would be good for an estimate. Note that all you are getting on here are estimates. And you don't need to cut and split it to determine the volume of the wood. You do need to measure because one develops an eye for estimating cords of wood.
Here's how the pros do it.
http://www.ibsp.idaho.gov/2_HOW TO DETERMINE THE SCALE OF A LOG.htm

Yes, that is for timber but it is similar. You won't need to take deductions out for defect. Now, in a perfect world is a perfect PNW log truck load with perfect logs. One of our log trucks hauls close to 5000 board feet per load (WAG rounded up). That is around 10 cords. So, if you are concerned, measure (scale) your logs and do the math. There are lots of volume tables on line and I'm sure east coast ones as well.

I passed my scale tape on to Madhatte.

I bet you are closer to 7 cords than some think. I agree with what some of the others posted if it ends up way short I would call the supplier and give him the opportunity to make it right. If it's close I would call it a wash, the price seems right and just think how hard it was for people on here to eyeball 7 cords in log length. Not an exact science.

This is like a "is the dress blue or black?" conversation, lol. Heres a couple more pictures for perspective. Thanks everyone for your input.
IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1717.JPG

When you buy wood like that check out the truck first and the volume it is capable of carrying. It has been my experience that they usually overstate what they can carry. Break out the tape measure and measure the volume the dump truck or log truck can carry. That will get you close. It will be interesting to see how much you end up with. Judging from the pictures it looks like 4 cords or maybe 5.

I never understood the cord measure, . . . I purchase firewood logs by cubic meter . . .

Same thing. Just like measuring weight by the pound, kilogram, stone, etc. A cord is just 128 cubic feet. The problem with any volume measure is how tightly it is stacked, and the difference between the volume of raw logs, and that of tightly packed, split wood. That still leaves room for subjective opinion instead of objective measure.

Ideally, we would buy it by the BTU?

Philbert

Same thing. Just like measuring weight by the pound, kilogram, stone, etc. A cord is just 128 cubic feet. The problem with any volume measure is how tightly it is stacked, and the difference between the volume of raw logs, and that of tightly packed, split wood. That still leaves room for subjective opinion instead of objective measure.

Ideally, we would buy it by the BTU?

Philbert
Not entirely the same!

When I buy from the forestry I pay by volume of the logs themselves, not the volume of the stacked logs.

Preprocessed firewood, in my area bucked to 1 meter (40") length and split in half or fourth, is being sold by the volume of the stacked pile. The more it is split the more air one pays. This kind of wood usually gets further cut shorter by bandsaws hoocked up to tractors.
This kind of preprocessed firewood is very popular around here for the convenience of relative easy handling, but as said one pays for the additional preprocessing work.

I don't know the exact expression in English, but I differentiate "Festmeter" and "Raummeter" (German).
Rule of thumb is that 1 cubic "Festmeter" of logs become about 1.4 cubic "Raummeter" after they get preprocessed.

There is not much wiggle room when purchasing or selling by trunk volume ("Festmeter") as the trunks diameter and length can easily be checked.
I think this kind of measuring is very safe for the buyer, although sellers might not like it as there is limited "gray area" for them to take advantage from.

I think a dedicated person with a grapple could make that pile fill up a 7 cord box and the same person could evaluate and efficiently stack the same box and have room for 30% more and then someone would think they were getting boned.

I didn't see the truck that dropped it. I was trying to picture 14' x 8' x 8'. Just cant do it. It looks like a lot more in person, pictures don't do it a lot of justice.
So I am curious how far along are you , how many cords so far? If you are just tossing it in a pile plenty of guys here could help you figure what you have

I would bet you areally around 5-6 cord. I can stack a triaxle 20 ways to Sunday and depending in log diameter and how crooked etc....will give me slightly different amount. I'm not gonna sort through a log pile to maximize a load, I grab what goes and load it until I can't load no more. It's all a guesstimate, and like someone said earlier I cold easily stack it loose and make it 7 cord or better, were as another could make it a solid 5, same amount of wood. I have a lady I deliver stacked firewood to and she is so picky, all same size split's and color. Just like I had a guy cutting firewood, I called him acordian, because when you stacked his wood it was all different lengths I've even on one end, I don't mean slightly I mean 2-3 inch difference. I think we all have to remember that everybody has different views and techniques for everything. I don't add air to wood, but I try my hardest to give what I say, to be exactly precise in cords in log form is really hard to do.

Latest posts

Back