Echo CS-620 or Dolmar PS-6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakdown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post but have been reading on here for some time. I have a dealer that sells both. I currently have a CS-500p and PS-421. Love both saws but need something bigger.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wow that is a hard choice. I might slightly lean to the 6400 for the option of turning it into a tricked out 7900. However if you have no interest in doing that I may lean to the 620.
How big of a saw do you need?
I would not over look the 6100. But I am a 6100 fanboy.

I have a 6400 Dolmar and a 550p Echo. The 6400 while older than the 620p, is a far more refined saw more suited professional use. The 620 does look nice but at the end of the day it falls just short compared to what's on the market. For the average firewood hack you may not appreciate the differences that much. l know the echo fan club won't like my post but its based on truth and experience. l will can a stihl or husky just as quick, every saw deserves to be judged on merrit rather than the badge it wears. FWIW l am only answering the op's question as both saws are quality models that most would be happy to run......except maybe Sawtroll. l think he'd be physically ill if an Echo were to be placed in his hands.lol

Like I said, I own the PS-421 and it is an incredible saw and I would expect no different from the 6400. My concern is with Makita removing the Dolmar name. Will they start cheapening and be only available in box stores?

Another vote for the 6400. It's a heavy saw for 64cc, but it will outcut a 620 every day. And it could be upgraded to 79cc for a good price (Dolmar OEM cylinders are good priced these days!)

Also, the 6100 is an excellent choice too. Fordf150, a site sponsor, had the chance to run a 6100 and a 620p for a few weeks, and he say the Dolmar is 20% faster and is lighter. And $100 cheaper.

This is my first post but have been reading on here for some time. I have a dealer that sells both. I currently have a CS-500p and PS-421. Love both saws but need something bigger.

Hi,
I haven' tried the cs620, but I use 6400, 5 years ago,
and I can tell you it is excellent! In my country very succesfull rental chain saw! I think it is more them
enough to say.......:)
As I said I don't know which is better, but I definitely know,that the 6400 is a great choice. :)

Id buy the 6400 and upgrade it later to a 7900.
I wouldn't! I would either buy a 6100 or right away a 7310 or 7910. Why hassle with a real heavy for it's power 6400 when you can get right away a larger ccm saw built on the same case?!? The 6400 top end is about unsellable nowadays because everyone wants the 7910 and A LOT of guys have upgraded so you can find them VERY cheap. So jugging by your other saws you are no pro and will NEVER wear out the 6400. In this case, if you want to stay in the 60cc class, either save some money and get a little less powerful echo 590 or get directly a dolmar 6100.

Options: (Sticking to the OPs question)

1. Buy a 6400, then when/if you want more power (or just a project) upgrade to the 7900 cyl

2. Buy a 620 and leave it be, enjoy the warranty and never look back (a good option if you just want a saw for cutting and don't want to molest every saw you own),,,

Good dealers for both saws here...

I wouldn't! I would either buy a 6100 or right away a 7310 or 7910. Why hassle with a real heavy for it's power 6400 when you can get right away a larger ccm saw built on the same case?!? The 6400 top end is about unsellable nowadays because everyone wants the 7910 and A LOT of guys have upgraded so you can find them VERY cheap. So jugging by your other saws you are no pro and will NEVER wear out the 6400. In this case, if you want to stay in the 60cc class, either save some money and get a little less powerful echo 590 or get directly a dolmar 6100.

Originaly the construction of 6400-7300-7900 built for the
6400 size. All the major parts of the mashine is able to handle all the stress what the 64ccm could give, for almost
eternality. :)
If you use bigger cilinder.......proportionally reduce the life
of the saw.
I have 64ccm, and I am happy with that. :)

6400 size. All the major parts of the mashine is able to handle all the stress what the 64ccm could give, for almost
of the saw.

How does cylinder size reduce life span of a chain saw? Sorry but this is not true. Engine life has nothing to do with the rest of the saw. The engines wear out with use. The larger the cc, the more obvious they are used by professionals and the more hours they achieve on the clock. The more hours equals to more wear on the piston rings, piston and the coating of the cylinder (either hard chrome or nikasil). This wear is what ends the life span of the chain saw.
Of course you can rebuild etc., but rebuilding is absolutely senseless for a professional to have it done at a store. Shop rates will be at least 50-70%(just the work hours!) the cost of a brand new saw! And then you have only replaced a cylinder and piston.

I understand completely that the rest of the 6400 is overbuilt strength wise for a 64cc saw, but that will not guarentee that the saw will live one more day.

I have a 6400 Dolmar and a 550p Echo. The 6400 while older than the 620p, is a far more refined saw more suited professional use.

Do you see a problem with this line? Are you talking about a 550p or a 620p because there is a big difference?

How does cylinder size reduce life span of a chain saw? Sorry but this is not true. Engine life has nothing to do with the rest of the saw. The engines wear out with use. The larger the cc, the more obvious they are used by professionals and the more hours they achieve on the clock. The more hours equals to more wear on the piston rings, piston and the coating of the cylinder (either hard chrome or nikasil). This wear is what ends the life span of the chain saw.
Of course you can rebuild etc., but rebuilding is absolutely senseless for a professional to have it done at a store. Shop rates will be at least 50-70%(just the work hours!) the cost of a brand new saw! And then you have only replaced a cylinder and piston.

I understand completely that the rest of the 6400 is overbuilt strength wise for a 64cc saw, but that will not guarentee that the saw will live one more day.

"If you use bigger cilinder.......proportionally reduce the life
of the saw."

It wasn't a proper wording, it is true. Sorry about my English.:rare2:

But, Iam not agree with you.
Of course it is all about working hours! I was talking about how can affect much power to the major parts of the machine.
The major parts of the machine is not only piston, rings, and cylinder.
Crankshaft,crank rod......etc.

For example, there is 2 piece of same metal. You take a hammer and start to hit them.
The first you hit with the half of your power, the second you hit with full of your power.
What do you think,which will break down earlier..????

"...the 6400 is overbuilt strength wise for a 64cc saw, but that will not guarentee that the saw will live one more day."

I think, yes.....definitely guarantee longer life of the same if you use with 64 ccm,and not 79 ccm, specialy not with 84.6 ccm! / big bore set/

of the saw.

I don't believe that Solo designed the 681 to be a 64cc saw

It will all depend on what and how much You'll cut.
Personal preferences will also weigh in a bit.

The Dolmar PS-6400 is built really sturdy, unless You drop a tree on it this saw should give You years of work time.

I have a Dolmar PS-6400 and use her for firewood processing for the last 9 years.
NEVER had any issues, no repairs, runs perfectly whenever I need her too.
I know most members are badmouthing the PS-6400 as being under powered for her weight. I don't see it that way, she's a great saw with lots of power and torque.

I wouldn't know about Echo, but they seem to be good saws too so it deserves consideration.

I wouldn't worry about Dolmar parts, You shouldn't be needing many or even any. ;)

Hint: I lean toward the Dolmar PS-6400! :)

560xp/2260 is the real 60cc answer - but otherwise I agree with you. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a 6400.

Back