bucking table ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive found, and albeit by reading about others processes... Spend a day or 2 cutting rounds. Then get those rounds split.

It always seemed to daunt me to get EVERYTHING out to cut and split in the same day. Since I have transitioned over to doing one or the other, its a bit more relaxed knowing there is just one task to focus on.

I am going to add cleats to the conveyor, build a stand for the bags and then I need to determine where I am going to add grizzly bars. My conveyor is short and there isnt much vertical room to put it there, so I am going to see how I can add them off the end of the splitter.

I modified the two rail deck to a deck over to handle shorter length material and large noodled halves. The Beech was cut kneeling on the deck, cutting and splitting one or two rounds at a time. The splitter is reversed, as show by the steer wheels, splitting into a trailer to stack in the wood shed.IMG_3315.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_9981.jpgIMG_2598.jpg

I use 8- 55g Plastic drums, 4- 2x4x16 and 2 sheets of plywood to make a flat table 4x16' long, just run a few 3"screws through the plywood and the 2x4 into the top of the drum to keep the table from moving around any. and my ASV to put logs onto it. I cut rounds on it, and the rounds roll right off the table onto the splitter rail. I have a 10x20 tent/carport I shade the table and the splitter area, and it leaves the very end of the table open enough I can put the logs on it with the grapple without framming the tent canopy. Works great, no bending over to cut stuff, no picking stuff up by hand. The barrels are empty, but hold a full table of 24" rounds. I disassemble it when I am done and store the lumber, and roll 'stack the barrels for another time. I can leave the table FULL for weeks, the tent covers the logs/wood.

That was a neighbors yard tree with a yard light and romex (spelling?) wire stapled to it and grown over. When I cut it up I found a second wire from when the tree was much younger, and grown over with four inches of growth.
Beech seasons quick, and burns good. Thin bark. But a lot of punk, and that part is hard on chains.
The standing Beech is on our property. Three years in a row its had wood ducks nesting. This year four eggs dropped down the middle of it over a period of weeks.IMG_0645.jpgIMG_0602.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_3171.jpgIMG_3170.jpg

This is also the neighbors. It blew over in an early morning storm. Missed the house and well, bumped the propane tank off some blocks, and tore the electrical mast off the house, starting an electrical fire in the basement. This is the next day, after the electrician replaced the mast and the power company reconnected the wires. Some one else cut it up for firewood. This one could have made some nice lumber.IMG_3181.jpg

There is a lot of bark and crap build up inside the deck. I move them with extension forks to clean up. The one in the fore ground thru fork pockets in the side, the other from the back. Supports to lift it should be designed in, or some other way to move it, or access under it. I have to move mine to get log trucks out, and then I clean up. Smaller might be better. The longer one, I push logs forward with the forklift, and then load more. The other one, loading less is best, as sometimes logs roll off the front. When I do have a buddy help, I never load the decks until he moves away from the splitter. If a log rolls off, I chain up and drag it out with the quad. then pick the log up with lift.View attachment 890938View attachment 890939
What are those splits wrapped with and how did you fill it? Looks good.

OK, she's done. Only did this one bit of cutting on it, but so far I'm happy.

For those who might be curious, I milled up some 4x4's and because of the warp, I did a lot of trimming to get them fairly straight. The cutting in the video is all of that trimmed off junk.
I'll try it again later this week with the big slabs.

Love it! Very cool uncle moustashe.
Looks like each kid will be getting a new wheel barrow for their birthday.

Tiberius: Posch PackFix. hydro base, which is a turntable with double fill drum. The splits drop from conveyor into drum, 4' radius, about 5' tall.
The full drum is rotated from under the conveyor, to under lifting tripod. As the drum is lifted, a wand wraps netting on the outside, bottom 2', making a spiral wrap. About eight wraps. 1/4th cord per pallet.

Love it! Very cool uncle moustashe.
Looks like each kid will be getting a new wheel barrow for their birthday.

Tiberius: Posch PackFix. hydro base, which is a turntable with double fill drum. The splits drop from conveyor into drum, 4' radius, about 5' tall.
The full drum is rotated from under the conveyor, to under lifting tripod. As the drum is lifted, a wand wraps netting on the outside, bottom 2', making a spiral wrap. About eight wraps. 1/4th cord per pallet.
Sounds like you got it figured out, great production!

Many thanks to Sandhill and Casey for your inspiration and advice.
:clap::drinking:

btw, everything was leftovers from jobs or stuff I had on hand. Pretty much free.
the legs were newly milled.
I did pay for the rollers, but that was months ago when I didn’t know what I would do with them. Auction find. Really cheap.

Ive got 2 sets of I think 10' rollers.. I LOVE how you incorporated them into the table. I never considered cutting them down to facilitate using them in the actual cutting area.

Many thanks to Sandhill and Casey for your inspiration and advice.
:clap::drinking:

btw, everything was leftovers from jobs or stuff I had on hand. Pretty much free.
the legs were newly milled.
I did pay for the rollers, but that was months ago when I didn’t know what I would do with them. Auction find. Really cheap.
Curious where you did find the rollers?

Curious where you did find the rollers?

Buddy of mine runs Pillar Auction Company. There was a company nearby wanting to upgrade/offload some equipment and they used Pillar to auction off a bunch of items. The roller tables were among them. They were all greasy and nasty, but extremely cheap. I think I paid like $20 for them, including legs and cross braces. I used the cross braces (1" angle iron) for another project. Not much left of that now except the legs. Might make a good rolling bench. I love to get cheap stuff at auctions!

Back