firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20160924_102638.jpg

I've had this 69' 4000 gas for a year and it's always sounded off and been underwhelming power wise. Had a Ford tractor mechanic look at it before I bought it and was assured "it is how these old 3 cyl sound". Today, I Picked up some hay at the neighbors and he said it's missing on one cylinder. I said thanks, it always sounds like that.

I dug into it and sure enough, no 1 isn't firing. It's got fuel, spark...I'm thinking the problem just got a little more expensive.

I've had this 69' 4000 gas for a year and it's always sounded off and been underwhelming power wise. Had a Ford tractor mechanic look at it before I bought it and was assured "it is how these old 3 cyl sound". Today, I Picked up some hay at the neighbors and he said it's missing on one cylinder. I said thanks, it always sounds like that.

I dug into it and sure enough, no 1 isn't firing. It's got fuel, spark...I'm thinking the problem just got a little more expensive.

Bummer. I guess next time you buy a gas tractor, you could pull the plugs one at a time and see if it changes how it runs. If there is a next time.

Bummer. I guess next time you buy a gas tractor, you could pull the plugs one at a time and see if it changes how it runs. If there is a next time.

Yep, should have done that and let him figure it out. Still a good tractor for the price and I've learned a bit along the way with it.

I miss my old 8n. I pulled loads of wood behind that tractor that had no business behind it. Never let me down more then what 15 minutes couldn't fix.
Ex wife gave it to her lawyer as payment while we were going through the big d. Can't wait to get another 8n someday.

I miss my old 8n. I pulled loads of wood behind that tractor that had no business behind it. Never let me down more then what 15 minutes couldn't fix.
Ex wife gave it to her lawyer as payment while we were going through the big d. Can't wait to get another 8n someday.

Where are you located. I've got a runner I'd sell you for $750. Needs work, but it's all there. Decent tires even.

Well, now I know what a 3cyl ford is supposed to sound like. Clue 1; not like the Harley's and 2cyl John Deere's I grew up around....more of a purr than a lope. Long story short, whomever set the valves last had everything jacked up. Exhaust clearances were .o10 .oo6 and less than zero. Got it buttoned up tonight and it runs right for the first time since I've had it.

Well, now I know what a 3cyl ford is supposed to sound like. Clue 1; not like the Harley's and 2cyl John Deere's I grew up around....more of a purr than a lope. Long story short, whomever set the valves last had everything jacked up. Exhaust clearances were .o10 .oo6 and less than zero. Got it buttoned up tonight and it runs right for the first time since I've had it.

That's fantastic! I love an easy fix. Even better if it's cheap. I've never been around a three cylinder gasser, but my three banger diesel sounds a little goofy at idle. Over 1000 RPM, though and it's smooth.

I was having second thoughts when I sold my Ford 641, it's a little newer and a couple more horse power than an 8N. Then I bought my Massey 135, 4 cylinder continental gas, never thought about the Ford again. Love the old Massey, Joe.

I was having second thoughts when I sold my Ford 641, it's a little newer and a couple more horse power than an 8N. Then I bought my Massey 135, 4 cylinder continental gas, never thought about the Ford again. Love the old Massey, Joe.

Those Massey's certainly were nice tractors. I read a story about the Massey 35 being brought back and produced currently for sales in Africa. Makes perfect sense.

I heard there are a gazillion of them in India. They were very popular in the UK, and made there. The neighbor to my farm in WV has a 165 that's been sitting next to his garage, with a half dozen junk cars, for several years. Next time I go up I'm going to ask if it's junk and see if he wants to sell it, Joe.

Back