Forget footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about that and have an idea.

Attach the end of the climbing line to the pulling device (kanga) etc with a prussik on a link that'll break before the climbing line. Then there's no way to over load the system.

Equip the climber with a fox whistle so he can give alarm signals if req'd.

Install another large prussik on the tail of the climbing line before the redirect pulley at the base of the tree. That prussik to be attached to the tree. This is now a fail safe on the tail and also allows the kanga to get another grab if you run out of reversing room.

When all is said and done the climber is still very secure as we are only pulling on the tail. His normal set up still secures him independently of the system.

A final dynamometer reading on the sytem should reveal that there isn't any additional forces put on the system than a climber doing it themselves. This test could be done by attaching the dynamometer at the top where the cambium saver is.

The only argument left for OSH wankers is that the climber is not solely in control of the lift. Well, neither are they on cranes! A system of communication and alarms is implemented.

If at the base we had a remote control winch etc then it would be fine as the climber could control it.

Imagine you have to go up 100' .... who would be the fresher and less exhausted worker up there, the climber/footlocker or the elevator rider?

Imagine if you have to go up 100', I do it all the time, and higher, it ain't no big thing. I only have dailup, but I'm guessing its some kind of cheating device 'cause spurless climbing is harder than most here like to admit. Am I right?

cool, easy and keeps you fresh for cutting...i still would prefer to spike it if it were a removal though ( personal preference) are those gum trees in the vid???

-mike

Back