Forks Timber Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scablands

Total Poser
Reaction score
Went over to the wet side of WA state for a long weekend. One of the side trips was Forks' Timber Museum followed by the famed Jerry's Saw Shop (now Jerry's Rentals). If you're in the area, it's worth stopping by to see the museum. Make sure you sign in because the numbers of visitors helps fund them (besides donations).

The museum is small, but great. The staff really puts in the extra effort to communicate the culture and history of logging to the rest of us. They give out jargon translation sheets and even have free explanatory diagrams for how a highline works.

The last photo is a memorial to those who have lost their lives logging in the area. Unfortunately, it's not a short list.

A few pics:
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

You kind of piss me off with that statement.

No offense meant. Forks is a place I've passed through hundreds of times, both for work and for play. It was not on anybody's radar except timber industry folks and locals until that one book series made it all kinds of inexplicably popular. I do try to check out all of the local museums, but I miss a few from time to time. I'm about due for a run through there anyway.

The museum is small, and frankly, most people bypass it on that basis. But, aside from some rusting equipment in town, it and Jerry's Saw shop are the last evidence of Forks as the "timber capital of the world." I never even knew about the vampire stuff until I read The Final Forest. What I knew Forks for 25 years ago, was the non-stop parade of logging trucks. There's a few trucks running now, but nothing like the old days. And talking to the folks at the visitors center, logging's taken another huge hit there in just the last five years.

I might have to run back there with a better camera just for the sake of documenting what's left of the timber industry around Forks before it gets killed off altogether.

There seems to be sort of a tide for logging around here, right now its hot around Bellingham, and maybe Morton, but its getting warmer up around Stevens pass...

30 years ago every one that used to log in Forks moved to Darrington to be closer to the timber, Before that in the 50's most of the population of Watcom county, (all like 300 or so) moved to Darrington or Monroe...

I figure that its about due for Darrington and surrounding areas to start cutting again.

Take a drive out around the peninsula and its mostly cut over on anything that isn't state or fed land.

No offense meant. Forks is a place I've passed through hundreds of times, both for work and for play. It was not on anybody's radar except timber industry folks and locals until that one book series made it all kinds of inexplicably popular. I do try to check out all of the local museums, but I miss a few from time to time. I'm about due for a run through there anyway.
I was pulling yer leg. Im about halfway thru Final Forest. The way that town lived and died with logging its a crime not to have stopped at their museum.

The way that town lived and died with logging its a crime not to have stopped at their museum.

Heard that! I'll be sure and stop at the museum on my next pass through.

...which reminds me. I think I have a copy of The Final Forest, and I'm pretty sure I haven't read it yet. Gonna have to fix that, too.

Will be heading out to the Peninsula in June for a few days. Will make it a point to go to the museum!

Back