Fuel Injection saws? Stihl is going for it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I stopped by my local hardware and talked to the guy working the Stihl line .
He said they were putting the fuel injection on the 661..i? forgot real model.
Also the cutoff saws had a few of them mixed in too. seemed like the 420 size can't remember.
I was a little suprised but he said they had a few floating around for 2 or more years for testing.
He said they should be good to go and was not afraid of it.
He didn't have one in stock to look at yet but said they were comming.

Chad

Today I stopped by my local hardware and talked to the guy working the Stihl line .
He said they were putting the fuel injection on the 661..i? forgot real model.
Also the cutoff saws had a few of them mixed in too. seemed like the 420 size can't remember.
I was a little suprised but he said they had a few floating around for 2 or more years for testing.
He said they should be good to go and was not afraid of it.
He didn't have one in stock to look at yet but said they were comming.

Chad
For the 661 i dont think they always have a recall and they for sure dont risk another, but for the new carbon saw.....................

A dealer told me the injected cutoff saws were "problematic".... Fwiw

Not happening in the 661, it's just the M-Tronic. We had a Stihl tech class in the spring , and while they don't tell us everything, it was pretty definitive that fuel injection in the saws is a ways off yet.

Ok maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.

How is the m tronic diffrent from old saws?
Chad

The M-tronic monitors and adjusts the mixture of the carburetor electronically. It is offered on four saws currently available in the U.S. the MS241,261,441 and 661.

Not happening in the 661, it's just the M-Tronic. We had a Stihl tech class in the spring , and while they don't tell us everything, it was pretty definitive that fuel injection in the saws is a ways off yet.
Yes the stihl like to dont tell everything, i was the first in my country that i order 661 cm , and i pre-paid it, after a little time a e-mail arrive from the stihl ,not from the dealer, it say go to the dealer and take your money back from the order of 661.
i ask if its, technical, or other problem and until now i dont have answer.
i believe that the 661 never have problem, the recall its a easy story that everyone can believe. games under the table.

We've sold TS500i's since it came out in I think 2011. Only ever replaced 1 top end and injection pump on a unit over a couple years old due to chitty fuel quality and lack of maintenance. Never had any complaints. All the negative stuff I see is on those review sites.

We've sold TS500i's since it came out in I think 2011. Only ever replaced 1 top end and injection pump on a unit over a couple years old due to chitty fuel quality and lack of maintenance. Never had any complaints. All the negative stuff I see is on those review sites.
Husky lovers posing as Stihl users? :)

Not a saw response but we have had a few ride on zero turn mowers that are fuel injected

They are ok, they seem to have alot more issues then the carbed ones

Wiring issues mainly, and some computer issues, when the computer goes you have to buy a new computer & harness not just one or the other
When they work they start up nice and easy and run good, but at times they wont start and you have to prime the sht out of them for some reason with the key, electric fuel pump
Not sure how they would rig an electric fuel pump to a saw to get the pressure up high enough for the injectors

The guys prefer to take the older carbed ones over the FI ones we have

Snomobiles have had batteryless EFI for almost 20 years now. The technology exists, the issue is miniaturization to get it into a saw sized package.

That's the feeling I got was that it was 2-3 years off atleast.

A dealer told me the injected cutoff saws were "problematic".... Fwiw

I work for a site contractor. We have a TS500i and that is a solid machine. We bought it used rental. Wore a top end out, ate a ring. New OEM topend and it runs great. That thing eats what ever junk oil and fuel that crew feeds it and it's flawless... and I hate Stihl.

Twice it's broken a generator wire to the control module but other than that, if it doesn't start in two pulls, something is wrong.

Back