ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fuel/Oil ratio on Olympyk 20:1???

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by 93Dakman!, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 93Dakman!

93Dakman! ArboristSite Operative

I have a Oly 261. I have rebuilt is, always clean it and take good care of it. I mix my gas at 50:1 and have always ran it with no problems in my Echos, Stihls AND this Olympyk. Well, I was taking the gas cap off yesterday and just noticed that it says 20:1 on it. Thats crazy! I would never run my dirt bike or ANY saws at 20:1. That sounds like a waste of oil. Especially since oil now days is of a little bit better quality. I have it tuned to run at 50:1. And I really dont want to take two gas cans out to the woods. Is it necessary to run at 20:1, am I loosing power or wearing the engine faster by not running at that ratio? I cant believe I never noticed that before!

2. PB

PB Addicted to ArboristSite

Oils were crap back then compared to what is available now. The 50:1 is providing sufficient lubrication that was needed before with 20:1. You are fine with having it tuned at 50:1, you are actually gaining power with more gas in the fuel.

:cheers:

3. Dave

Dave AboristSite Guru

20:1 is strictly mosquito and black fly control nowadays. Also good for the purveyors of spark plugs.

4. RobertN

RobertN ArboristSite Operative

Total agreement.

I run by what the oil manufacturer recommends. I run Husky Oil, cause that's what the local shop carries, and it is 50:1.

Oil formulation has come a long long ways. Back in the day, even dirt bikes ran 16:1, 20:1

If you run richer than that, you waste oil, get more goo on the plug, and the muffler/spark arrester.

My dirt bike, and my saws run great. I use good oil, and mix it to the oil spec.

The other thing I do, is:
    -Use premium gas
    -use good oil
    -mix small quantities so I typically have pretty fresh gas.