FYI STIHL OWNERS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a MS 211 in today that had a hole in the top of the cylinder. The owner had carried it to a local shop where he bought it. They tore it down and found the hole and gave it back disassembled. It had some scoring, but there was no sign of what caused the hole. The top of the cylinder was fine, no sign that anything had gone through the cylinder. This is a new group of people at this shop and I have done enough business with them that I do not trust them. A good example is, a man brought an 041 to me the other day and he had carried it to them and they told him that it needed a part in the carb. that was no longer available. The carb. was set way to rich. I reset it and it crank, ran and cut fine.
I called another Stihl dealer and talked to the technician and he asked what plug was in the saw. It has a Bosch. He told e that it needed a NKG CMR6H. He said the Bosch plug caused it to run hot enough to cause the problem.
This is my first saw with a hole in the cylinder and I told the previous owner that the only thing that I knew would cause this is, the wrong octane gas, timing off or the wrong plug.
I have seen this once before in a 1965 Buick and it burnt a hole between the piston and cylinder wall. It ruined The piston, but not the cylinder wall. PS T211 stihl 001.JPG he previous owner told me that the plug came with the saw.

is it a hole or is it melted? I have seen this once before. Piston stop was used and caused the damage.

Yep, a "manmade" hole in the piston by a screwdriver or a pair of needle nose pliers also known as a piston stop. LOL.

When you tore it down, was there pieces laying in the crankcase...or in the bearings?

The spark plug is the correct one.

is it a hole or is it melted? I have seen this once before. Piston stop was used and caused the damage.

well, you just brought up something that I had not though about. It is not melted. it is broke and the top of the piston has a dent in it. The only problem I have with a piston stop is the customer does not know enough about saws to use a piston stop. He does have a Hispanic that works for him. I will have to get back to him and ask a few more questions. Tom

Yep, a "manmade" hole in the piston by a screwdriver or a pair or needlenose pliers also known as a piston stop.

Tear it down & pull out the pieces that are laying in the crankcase...or in the bearings.

It was disassembled when I got it. I checked in the cylinder and in the muffler and found small pieces of metal that looked like sand. Not in texture, but in size. Tom

i'm voting for a piston stop but i would like to see the bottom to see if it got blown out

If you are talking about the under side of the piston top, I will try to add a picture. Tom

Attachments

• stihl 211 001.JPG
    stihl 211 001.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 76
Yep, a "manmade" hole in the piston by a screwdriver or a pair of needle nose pliers also known as a piston stop. LOL.

When you tore it down, was there pieces laying in the crankcase...or in the bearings?

the wise one has spoken

local dealer had a 271 with the same same looking hole in the piston. this one has some scaring around piston from being straight gas

Looking at the bottom of that piston, that is broken, not melted. I have an 026 here that looks like it, only the hole is nice and square from a proper piston stop and a 61 Husky that has that and the clutch thread section of the crank broken off by trying to impact it off the wrong way. Just because people have the specialty tools doesn't mean they know how to use them...

Looking at the bottom of that piston, that is broken, not melted. I have an 026 here that looks like it, only the hole is nice and square from a proper piston stop and a 61 Husky that has that and the clutch thread section of the crank broken off by trying to impact it off the wrong way. Just because people have the specialty tools doesn't mean they know how to use them...

Had a 371 come in last week, needed a "tune up". Someone cobbled together a dual port muffler with a port big enough for a Chevy 454 to exhaust.

Muffler was full of sticks and pebbles, top of piston hammered from probably a rock. Only had 100psi compression.

8 tooth rim, 18" bar and horribly filed full skip chain.

Suggested to the owner it should get a new piston and at least a screen on tge myffler.

Anyhow... all he cared about was that it "sounded good". :nofunny:

I totally agree, you may be great with saws and buy your own shop,..but the guy you hire out back in the shop may still not do things the way you would like them to. Maybe you know that a metal piston stop has caused damage in the past but the dude out back may have had great luck with them and thus uses one often. That is until now.

i carried the saw to the Tupleo Stihl Dealer today and between him, (meaning the Stihl Tech) me and members here we came to the conclusion that it had the wrong plug in it which caused it to run hot. That caused the piston to score and some one used an improper piston stop and punched a hole in the piston top. A new piston with rings and c-clips was $27.00 and seals were $6 and change each. so when they come in I will have a rebuild job to do. Thanks for all the response. PS I asked if the saws came from the distributors with a plug installed and he said that they did. Tom

Back