Echo CS440 Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRC

Reaction score
Thanks for the membership, brand new member. I recently got an Echo CS440, I am the (Insert number here) owner. Description on FBmarketplace stated "Runs poorly"
It would idle, but not rev up. Limiter caps were already removed, and both screws were WAY out. Pulled the carb, opened it up, (didn't have a kit & was impatient). Screen in bottom of carb body had what looked like a glob of jello in it. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner, blew it out with air, including the passages, & found the starting screw settings on this site. (Thanks again!) Got it running & pretty much dialed in, but here's the issue: If I open the throttle slowly, it will free rev to the moon. If I snap it open, it bogs down & quits. Now to the muffler mod question. One of the previous owners did a hack muffler mod, with two fairly large holes drilled in the side. Could this be causing the bog? I understand 2 stroke exhaust impulse theory & this is my next quest. Looking for something to plug the larger & uglier hole. considering a cut off fat sheet metal screw with some JB weld. Any & all suggestions appreciated. Mike

Sounds like your low circuit is lean, try opening it up 1/2 turn. If no help the carb is still clogged. Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve. I blocked off one of the muffler mod holes, no joy. Tried messing with low adjustment some more, not much change. Yeah, i guess carb is still dirty. Will order a kit & an ultrasonic cleaner and try it again. Thanks again.

Back