Muffler Pipes, Saw Mods, detensioning and single ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has been about 10 years since I have torn down and rebuilt saws on a daily basis. Never did any significant mods; only performance tunes. Cylinder and piston rarely.

Somehow I have collected a lot of saws. 14-17 (probably on the higher side after I dig them all out)

Looking for some "pipe" mufflers that are done really well and "actually" produce more HP.
On mods I will open things up a bit; reduce piston weight some, remove any second ring, reduce tension on the remaining ring.
Probably try a couple pipes. Only cut the minimum inside hole in mufflers just for heat escape.
I've already got a proven hp pipe for my 2511 echo.

Want pipes for a 372xt/chin and would like to find some pipes for a few Zenoah/chin 25,38,58cc
Would like to find a pipe for a 6401 Dolmar

Doing squish and piston shave ... opening things up without porting, changing timing.
(More study required)

Probably going to move 3/4 of the saws out so I can build a 372xp Big bore. I already have a Dolmar big bore setup at the ready.

I really like "Ironhorse"; are there any other links or knowledgeable you might recommend? Any ready made pipe mufflers that are not overpriced? I only want more HP and heat dissipation. Anyone able to have an insert-able spark arrestor in their design yet? (On the venturi exit tube transfer from the expansion tube exhaust?)

Looking for pipes pro made after the attached design.

Attachments

• 37Muffler.png
    37Muffler.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 1
Ironhorse is a retard.

I don't know him; and did a bit of research on here to find folks have issue with him and integrity. So the below comment was before I researched. IF his suggestions are dangerous or bad I need to know as well as "IF" there are decent youtube folks sharing their knowledge ... who then?

Is there a particular reason to defame, mock and degrade Ironhorse as a person? Has he been proven wrong so much in the community that people need be warned about him? Have you gone to him personally to help him from some "bad way" or are you just gossiping and speaking evil about another?

I believe in accountability for actions and words. "IF" you have superior knowledge and tried to serve someone and they maintain their poor, risky or dangerous knowledge ... it makes sense to "warn" others that they should not be heeded. (Then provide them the truth of what and why what you say "is correct" and can "demonstrate" is right and true; serving the community) Have you shown that accountability here?

We are dealing with measurements, skill, and a field of learning and knowledge that requires proper measure and skill; hence accountability for actions, videos and words and the fruit of those deeds.

None of that is personal unless a persons behavior is childish and they cannot bear the truth nor reason, nor fact and like a child must poo their pants or have a tantrum. Then ... well children hopefully grow up to help the community.

If you have rock solid proof "past opinion" that will help me learn and grow and avoid some "unskilled and dangerous" person in the community, I am interested and of course would want fact and others to verify and witness to the allegations.

Thank you for taking the time to visit this thread. I hope to glean something of value if you have it to share!

Iron horse's videos get a lot of views on youtube but he's a hack and has ripped costumers off.
He has been proven wrong by pretty much anyone else who can port.
His built 372 was slower than a stock saw with a bigger hole in the muffler lol.

Those crack pipes do make a tiny bit more power if you get it sized just right but they are twice as loud as a modded muffler. 9/10 guys prefer a muffler with a bigger than stock outlet.
The 372 big bore has smaller poorly shaped transfers which kills it power. Some builders have got them to run as good as a ported stock cylinder but never better. Dont bother with a big bore on a 372, it's a waste of time and money when the cylinder on it will end up running better.

Iron horse's videos get a lot of views on youtube but he's a hack and has ripped costumers off.
He has been proven wrong by pretty much anyone else who can port.
His built 372 was slower than a stock saw with a bigger hole in the muffler lol.

Those crack pipes do make a tiny bit more power if you get it sized just right but they are twice as loud as a modded muffler. 9/10 guys prefer a muffler with a bigger than stock outlet.
The 372 big bore has smaller poorly shaped transfers which kills it power. Some builders have got them to run as good as a ported stock cylinder but never better. Dont bother with a big bore on a 372, it's a waste of time and money when the cylinder on it will end up running better.

Thank-you! I just want things to work better with more HP and won't do any porting. So the thing I don't quite understand is whether saws with certain pipes or certain muffler mods actually show greater HP improvement. Egan Performance shows specs on His 2511 muffler. Who else is reliable? I want to ad a better muffler if it draws out more heat and gives a better band of "and" increased power.

I don't know him; and did a bit of research on here to find folks have issue with him and integrity. So the below comment was before I researched. IF his suggestions are dangerous or bad I need to know as well as "IF" there are decent youtube folks sharing their knowledge ... who then?

Is there a particular reason to defame, mock and degrade Ironhorse as a person? Has he been proven wrong so much in the community that people need be warned about him? Have you gone to him personally to help him from some "bad way" or are you just gossiping and speaking evil about another?

I believe in accountability for actions and words. "IF" you have superior knowledge and tried to serve someone and they maintain their poor, risky or dangerous knowledge ... it makes sense to "warn" others that they should not be heeded. (Then provide them the truth of what and why what you say "is correct" and can "demonstrate" is right and true; serving the community) Have you shown that accountability here?

We are dealing with measurements, skill, and a field of learning and knowledge that requires proper measure and skill; hence accountability for actions, videos and words and the fruit of those deeds.

None of that is personal unless a persons behavior is childish and they cannot bear the truth nor reason, nor fact and like a child must poo their pants or have a tantrum. Then ... well children hopefully grow up to help the community.

If you have rock solid proof "past opinion" that will help me learn and grow and avoid some "unskilled and dangerous" person in the community, I am interested and of course would want fact and others to verify and witness to the allegations.

Thank you for taking the time to visit this thread. I hope to glean something of value if you have it to share!
IH not only lacks integrity, he also doesn't know what the heck he's talking about almost always.
Most of the things you lined out doing in your post either won't make much differance or will hurt performance.
Either spend the time and money to learn to do it the right way or just pay someone else for that expertise.

Thank-you! I just want things to work better with more HP and won't do any porting. So the thing I don't quite understand is whether saws with certain pipes or certain muffler mods actually show greater HP improvement. Egan Performance shows specs on His 2511 muffler. Who else is reliable? I want to ad a better muffler if it draws out more heat and gives a better band of "and" increased power.
Some saws do benefit more than others. It largely depends on how plugged up they are in stock form.

Check out dynojoe on youtube.
You can copy one of his 372 builds and gain power without wrecking the cylinder.
He even tested 372 pipes.

Is he selling these yet? Anyone have a link to where he does sell these? They look more like art than hp increasing muffler mods.

Is he selling these yet? Anyone have a link to where he does sell these? They look more like art than hp increasing muffler mods.
Wild west garage builds them. They are more for looks than for max power.
You will never see one tested against a stock muffler with either a big open deflector or with a 1 inch pipe sticking out of it because they run about the same and modding your own muffler is free.

The guys who race saws will spend a fortune making their saw faster but they all run a stock muffler with a big hole in the front of it not a cool looking pipe.
You can go on ebay and buy a 372 muffler with larger pipe openings if you want to buy a bolt on pipe/muffler.

Wild west garage builds them. They are more for looks than for max power.
You will never see one tested against a stock muffler with either a big open deflector or with a 1 inch pipe sticking out of it because they run about the same and modding your own muffler is free.

The guys who race saws will spend a fortune making their saw faster but they all run a stock muffler with a big hole in the front of it not a cool looking pipe.
You can go on ebay and buy a 372 muffler with larger pipe openings if you want to buy a bolt on pipe/muffle
You don`t see them run a time on a stock can with a larger than stock outlet, the stock OEM mufflers are choked up but if they opened it up to a 3/4" or even a 1" outlet the saw would perform as well or better than the fancy shiny custom made ones do.Those crackpipe contrivances shown in the first post would only make more power because of the huge exhaust opening, nothing to do with the design as such.

That brings me to "Brazing" ... what would be the cheapest best way to do a brazing? What system, materials, rods and gas? Videos? I can learn to do a lot of stuff. If I was only going to do just one Muffler Mod then I would just buy it. But I have 7 machines I want to tweak and tune.

Odds and ends, Mr metsa, it’s is Oliver I don’t know what I’m talking about but watch my YouTube videos.
His type and that covers so many YouTubers will post any stupid **** just to get views or clicks to their channel, evidently they get paid by the click or numbers of clicks they get on their channel. That is why Harvey always lets on there is something special being done on his next episode, big promises that goes no where, just more hype to get more clicks.

Latest posts

Back