372 xt - Is there any hope or did I buy the wrong saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The more I research; the more I find that people think these saws suck.

What is the remedy?
I don't want to mess with timing. Don't want to port.
Please help me identify just how to get this saw to perform as good or better than an XP without dumping "money pit" cash.
Tell me by the numbers ... Please! (Base gasket delete? Muffler mod? Which one to gain real HP? Open ports a tad without need for timing change? Shave piston so base gasket delete doesn't cover ports slightly? Drop one of the two rings out? Shave both rings by 2k ? I could use some help here as I want one of these ready for a friend. Or "just sell that wanabe crap" and buy a real saw and move on?

I was excited about the fuel saving and low end torque but the reviews make me think I need to work on this saw to get top performance from it to exceed the XP model.
Please throw me a bone ... give me knowledge and vision just the items that will make this purchase not a dud.

I got a great deal so I am ok with my purchase. I have a lot of nice saws but have been reading on the 372 XT and they are not highly regarded as a whole. OR maybe the XP set the standard high. I just want to learn just what I can do to improve the saw. I have worked on about 100 saws, so I am fine with tweaking and tuning this saw. Basically weight versus power. If the saw weighs like an 80cc saw but cuts like a 65cc saw ... I can't trade it for a few cords of wood to my logger friend. He uses a 372xp. A stray bullet put his spare saw in the shop.

? How do I boost the performance?
If you can't help in that, then what is your agenda?

Is it a new saw? It might just need to break in some.
Making sure things like filters are good & clean (air & fuel), fuel is good, coil gap is right, & tune is good.
If you're going to go further than that a muffler mod, setting squish & a mild timing advance are all pretty straight forward & provide reasonable gains.
Beyond that you need to start grinding on things

Just trying to gain knowledge in how to boost its performance ... I want it to perform as well as an XP model ... which is the saw a friend uses. (372xp) ... Ill break it in proper but want to make sure it surpasses the XP in performance.

Im confused about this thread? The xt is already a stronger saw out of the box?
Unless the tune is out of wack ,or your friend is secretly running a ported saw?
Weight has nothing to do with performance, so idk why thats even mentioned?
Is this the new fishing scam for stihl lovers!!! Lol.

Im confused about this thread? The xt is already a stronger saw out of the box?
Unless the tune is out of wack ,or your friend is secretly running a ported saw?
Weight has nothing to do with performance, so idk why thats even mentioned?
Is this the new fishing scam for stihl lovers!!! Lol.
I have no idea what the OP is going for but I am thinking some organics are involved. He/she cannot answer where it was he/she heard the saw was a turd and he just keeps diverting.

Smells like a troll.

I have no idea what the OP is going for but I am thinking some organics are involved. He/she cannot answer where it was he/she heard the saw was a turd and justs keep diverting.

Smells like a troll.
Likely heard this from his Idol, Iron Donkey. He should be asking Harvey what needs to be done.

Likely heard this from his Idol, Iron Donkey. He should be asking Harvey what needs to be done.
That might be. I hate to be negative but I am smelling some foul stench here. I would love to hear where he heard that about the saw. He seems not to have any experience with it. As I type this I am looking at a 372 that is no "dog" and I have had many others that were not either.

Just trying to gain knowledge in how to boost its performance ... I want it to perform as well as an XP model ... which is the saw a friend uses. (372xp) ... Ill break it in proper but want to make sure it surpasses the XP in performance.
Pretty sure it is actually a ‘XP’ model…regardless of whether it’s a x-torq or oe…

The more I research; the more I find that people think these saws suck.

What is the remedy?
I don't want to mess with timing. Don't want to port.
Please help me identify just how to get this saw to perform as good or better than an XP without dumping "money pit" cash.
Tell me by the numbers ... Please! (Base gasket delete? Muffler mod? Which one to gain real HP? Open ports a tad without need for timing change? Shave piston so base gasket delete doesn't cover ports slightly? Drop one of the two rings out? Shave both rings by 2k ? I could use some help here as I want one of these ready for a friend. Or "just sell that wanabe crap" and buy a real saw and move on?

I was excited about the fuel saving and low end torque but the reviews make me think I need to work on this saw to get top performance from it to exceed the XP model.
Please throw me a bone ... give me knowledge and vision just the items that will make this purchase not a dud.
Why do you think hogging a port out without changing the timing is beneficial?

This used to be a decent site when I joined 14 years ago. Sad to see it straining; but I understand why now. Too many pride filled self righteous bullies with their panties in a bunch; looking in the mirror seeing a troll and smelling their own dirty diapers. No worries, people are people and many are stunted arm chair experts. Thank you folks who tried to help. It is always an honor to meet decent helpful people. Those 14 years ago were huge and there were many great folks who helped with manuals. Anyway, even the trollsters who smell their own stench ... nothing personal; though it is amusing watching grade school bullies attempt to cause offense. You would do well to get counselling. Just saying ...

While you say all that, look in the mirror. You were asked an innocent question. And then immediately went off.

The xt is a good saw. The early ones, no. But Husky got them sorted.

Back