Garlic growers, hows this years crop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of my crop. Any pointers?
IMG_20160615_182658180.jpg

Some nice looking garlic crops here guys.

I've been growing mine since late 1980's. Have tried 12 different varieties over the years, but always come back to the Big, Hot, Russian, Purple Stripe. Story goes mine came over as seed in the stockings of a Doukhobor grandmother when they emmigrated from Russia. I bought my first seed garlic from the grandson. We think it may be a rare Matechi variety. Heads get to the size of a mans fist, nice and hot, amazing keeper, 15 months :yes: when stored dry.

I used to plant 700 or more, but just do about 250 now, enough for the family and to give some away.

To respond to the question about buying some from grocery store to plant, around here grocery store garlic is softneck junk from China. Goes bad in a month or 2. Not even worth planting. Go to farmers markets and find some good stuff - you'll never eat garlic from the grocery store again.

I'll take some pics when it stops raining - this years crop still in the garden - just snipping scapes now and wifey made some walnut/Scape Pesto.

here's the first crop of garlic grown here on my farm. i had some Korean folks want to rent a small patch to grow some. they wanted to know how much they owed me to rent the ground. i told them i just needed some garlic to sell in my market. i ended up with 5 baskets like this. i got a good education on garlic growing. the one fella is from canada and grows 40 acres of garlic.
20160703_174550_resized.jpg

Back