Getting a Chainsaw ticket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people in this industry aren't the ones that need it, it's the jackass that doesn't know squat and goes to wall-mart and buys a ladder and a wild thing and tries to do his own tree work and ends up injured or dead.......

Exactly. Every injury they get from doing the wrong or stupid thing goes on to our industry tally and that is the reason we need to get "tickets" for nearly everything we do. Now here in Australia we need tickets for EWP's 12m and up, how many of us in industry have had an accident with one. I bet its not in the double figures however the home owner that hires one and doesnt bother to set the outriggers and the thing tips over well thats on our reccornd and we have to waste a couple of days doing a course for something we have been doing most of our lives.

Gonna try to rep that in a minute- But!, When you hire a new employee, do you have a check-list of qualifications that need to be worked on and signed off? If I get a green guy with a good attitude and willingness to learn, I feel that my guys and me can provide more knowledge than the guy at the store!
And you need a valid drivers license!
Jeff, CTSP ;)

And yeah, Treevet is gonna blast me for being forth-right!
He likes the word "Forth-right":laugh:
Jeff, CTSP,
no check-list, I have trained a few over the years though...

Hey, I'm based in australia, and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding any work, so I thought I might try to get my chainsaw ticket, just wondering who offers the training for em? what does it cost to get one? Would any government assistance be available to help me get one? and when I've got one, how would I go about getting work in the industry?

Cheers, Gab

I also live in Victoria, go check out NMIT for Maintain and Operate Chainsaws. There is no chainsaw ticket course as there is no chainsaw ticket in Victoria.

haha very funny, due to Australia's strict laws regarding occupational health and saftey, you are supposed to do a training course and get a "ticket" before you can start working for a tree service or whatever.

Gab

Whoever told you that has no clue what they're on about. You dont need one, its just advisable that you have done some sort of short course on chainsaw use so in the event you cut yourself WorkSafe comes after you instead of your employer. Theres a LOT of people out there who havent done chainsaw courses and are working on tree crews. As I said above, there is no chainsaw 'ticket', the best you can do are small and large tree felling modules as part of the Arboriculture courses which you should be doing in their entirety.

WOW... bermie...over here many home owners cut firewood for heating through out the year!! chainsaws, guns, freedom of speech & a beer after work are common place!

a chainsaw ticket????? I guess I can understand if someone has never ran one before getting some training...but a mandatory ticket before you can work?

LXT..................

I have no problem with homeowners, there is no way to regulate them...live and let live...or die, access to chemicals and pesticide application falls in here too! You decide to do it yourself on a Saturday...go for it...just please try to be careful.

I work in an unregulated environment...but was trained in a regulated one. My 'tickets' put me a cut above the rest of the hacking rabble. I have seen SO much hackage by people who are charging good money to provide 'tree work'...some kind of training and practical assessment has to be a step forward towards ensuring people get what the THINK they are paying for.

Mind you, there is an onus on us to educate the consumer...I try, and slowly the message is getting out there, question the person who says he can 'cut your trees', and reject substandard work. There is good work being done here by guys with only on the job training...good for them! And given the standards, most of them could challenge the practical assessment and attain a 'piece of paper' (international) to validate what they are already doing.

I have no problem with homeowners, there is no way to regulate them...live and let live...or die, access to chemicals and pesticide application falls in here too! You decide to do it yourself on a Saturday...go for it...just please try to be careful.

I work in an unregulated environment...but was trained in a regulated one. My 'tickets' put me a cut above the rest of the hacking rabble. I have seen SO much hackage by people who are charging good money to provide 'tree work'...some kind of training and practical assessment has to be a step forward towards ensuring people get what the THINK they are paying for.

Mind you, there is an onus on us to educate the consumer...I try, and slowly the message is getting out there, question the person who says he can 'cut your trees', and reject substandard work. There is good work being done here by guys with only on the job training...good for them! And given the standards, most of them could challenge the practical assessment and attain a 'piece of paper' (international) to validate what they are already doing.

You make it sound like the "ticket" shows you know how to properly prune. I doubt it does, we have ISA cert, Treeworker and Arborist here. This ticket thing sounds bogus.
Jeff

Back