New here and would like to do tree work! Advice Please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2725

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m new here and looking for some advice from some people in the business! I’ve been bit by the tree work bug! I currently pay the bills doing HVAC as a service technician, but a couple years ago I decided to take down a large oak at my house myself. After lots of studying, research, and buying lots of gear I was able to successfully remove it with the help of some buddies without any damage. Ever since, I’ve been addicted to climbing and tree work. I’ve continued to purchase gear and learn. I climb recreationally and also help neighbors with their tree needs, but can’t get enough! I would really like to start doing more! I was hoping to possibly get some advice on getting more into tree work and possibly make some connections. I appreciate any advice and help! Thank you in advance!

IMG_1134.jpeg

Unless I am mistaken, you are following the same path that most of us did. Get in, do some, learn some, do more... You either get good, survive somehow, or you get out.

Working even part-time for a tree service will teach you a lot more than you will discover on your own. Having a cadre of friends in the business giving advice is helpful, too. Like hanging out here at ArboristSite. 👍

There is a lot to be said for watching other climbers. Try to avoid following the utility companies around, that's a whole different game. Pick a front yard job where you see a bunch of tree trucks. If it's a whole bunch of guys with mixed outfits, no hard hats, and rusty old trucks, you might wish to watch how not to do the job. Come across another outfit with a guy up in the tree with a really cool hardhat, communication gear, and a crew that is kept humping, just kick back and watch for small details that make it all go smooth and safe. Or not. Modern equipment isn't always the best indicator of talent and knowledge. It's a pretty good sign that the owner knows how to make money, and that is a consideration to evaluate also.

If you stay out of their way, they will probably be pleased to have an audience. That's a good way to make introductions to the management, too.

By the way: what kind of knot are you tying on to that branch? If you are relying on a clove hitch to lower branches... I would learn another knot.

Thank you! I really appreciate all the advice!

Definitely not a clove hitch. Just a half hitch before I tied a running bowline! I know now that probably wasn’t necessary. That was the first tree I ever climbed and I was pretty nervous about breaking something.

My choices of rigging knots for descending branches go like this:

1. Timber hitch. It is fast and reliable but will fall apart and let go if tied wrong. It also doesn't confuse the groundmen, who often take too long to untie other knots.
1B. If I'm putting some serious weight on the rope, I'll always put a marl on the branch in front of the timber hitch. Then the marl (or half-hitch) takes the bulk of the force.

2. Running bowline. I use that for remote reaches where I am only dealing with the rope, and the branch is a ways off. Also: every situation where it needs to choke down on a bundle of branches.

3. Stilson hitch: this is for large diameter chunks that are short, and cannot be allowed to slip in any fashion.

Hey Rex, welcome to AS. Sounds like you're wanting to do this more as a sideline, I definitely wouldn't give up my day job if I were you. P gave you great advice. I would add maybe getting to know a local, good tree service where you could work as a groundie and learn from them. The only thing I would add is the three golden rules my mentor taught me...

1. What you don't know is more important than what you know... what you don't know at this point will get you killed...

2.Never cut faster than you can think...

3. And most importantly... "Leave your ego on the ground, boy, because the trees don't care how badass you think you are, and gravity is a mean cold hearted *****..."

Good luck and always ask for help, Jeff

Hi, Jeff. If I could give one piece of advice, I would say learn your knots. Practice, practice, practice. Until you can tie them blindfolded behind your back. Prepare for winter -- put your hands in ice water and practice tying knots. It would help you when you're working during winter.

Always ask for help if you're not 100% sure about something.

Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it!

I was actually able to talk to a local tree guy today and he’s going to try and get me on some jobs on the weekends! I look forward to working on the ground with him and his crew and trying to absorb as much information as possible.

In the meantime, I’m going to try to learn as much as possible. I often climb recreationally to try and become more efficient and comfortable in the tree. And I always have a piece of rope in the house to practice knots!

Latest posts

Back