Grinder hardened chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion I think the grinder you use will be a big factor in having heat/hardness come into play. I started out with one of those cheap grinders with slop and play built into it. Had all kinds of trouble with that thing putting each tooth to grind in the same location with all the slop. Tried fine tuning it but never got it where I wanted it. Two years later found an old Foley Belsaw on Craigs list that caught my attention. Was not a cheap buy but at $8.00 a chain at the saw shop I thought I could lay out a little more cash. This thing is built like a tank and best of all when set it is SET. I do buy Foley stock grinding wheels for this grinder and am very happy with their performance. Now I can do the 3 tap on every tooth and just shave enough off of the tooth to put a perfect edge on all of them with very little chance to heat/harden them. So I will fall into the camp of many of the posters above with 2 or 3 spare chains per saw when I am cutting, change out as needed and when the pile is big enough in front of the Foley have a sharping party.

Back