handle wrap/grip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I know there was a thread on what people were using to "re-grip" older front handles on their saws but I'll be darned if I can dig it up.

I was considering bicycle handlebar tape but I would prefer something that was more of a tube.

So, what are you using and where did you get it? I've got a couple of project saws just about finished that are just too pretty to have their handles wrapped in electrical tape.

If you know any cable tv construction guys or splicers, check with them for some Canusa heat shrink. It comes in 4 foot lengths for a variety of cable sizes. For a handle application ya probably want to go with .750 diameter which starts out at around an inch and a half and shrinks down nice and even on curved surfaces. It's primarily used to seal/weather proof connectors and splices and such.

Poge

Here's what I use. LINK.

1121652437_rDnZ6-M.jpg

1121652356_reDyW-M.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, but I went a different direction. I was looking for something a little thinner walled than heater hose, although it was in the running. All the foam grip/insulation material I found seemed too thick. Brad, that adhesive lined shrink tubing looks good. I can't believe it shrinks to 1/3 of its original diameter. That is pretty crazy

I found some heat shrink tube made for re-gripping fishing poles. It has a pattern on it and is a little cheaper than the adhesive lined shrink tubing. Hopefully it will hold up.

dbluefishing items - Get great deals on grip, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

Thanks for the advice guys, but I went a different direction. I was looking for something a little thinner walled than heater hose, although it was in the running. All the foam grip/insulation material I found seemed too thick. Brad, that adhesive lined shrink tubing looks good. I can't believe it shrinks to 1/3 of its original diameter. That is pretty crazy

I found some heat shrink tube made for re-gripping fishing poles. It has a pattern on it and is a little cheaper than the adhesive lined shrink tubing. Hopefully it will hold up.

dbluefishing items - Get great deals on grip, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

I also thought about bicycle tape but I figured since the glue on the back of it is only a small band in the middle I figured the edges of the tape would eventually start to roll but I did want additional vibration reduction so I wrapped the handle with bicycle bar tape first then covered it with the fishing rod x pattern heat shrink and it came out great. I got the SIZE 35MM/1.37"X800MM (0.8M)/32" and 1/32" thickness tubing. My handle was an inch before the bicycle tape was on and I had to struggle to slip the 35mm stuff over it after the handle was wrapped and the stuff really does shrink a lot so if anyone else out there is thinking about using this stuff don't be afraid to go a little bit bigger on the I.d. Oh and stay away from hockey tape, looks great when it's first done but sooner than later you will end up with adhesive all over your hands. I just did this about a month or so ago so I don't have any long term wear reports but I'm pretty confident it should hold up.

Last edited:
That stuff looks interesting.

I sometimes like the "natural" look. Can't buy this anywhere;

attachment.php

can't recall if I've seen mention of using your air hose to float a grip on.
You'll need to get the hose nozzle stuffed into one end of the grip
in a way that causes the air to flow out the other end.
Maybe a cork with the nozzle through it.
the idea is to actually inflate the grip a slight bit with the air flow
and also let the grip float on the air blast.

makes a grip slip on or off, you can rotate it if needed.
short vid that gives an idea of what I'm babbling about.
Re-grip golf clubs with tire inflator - YouTube

I don't know if the air flow would cause any problems with the wrap
when you've got a curve to deal with.
Could lift it and let it roll or shift.

Yup heard of using the air deal.

I've used a bunch of heat shrink materials over the years. (in the trade)

Haven't come across any that would hold up for grips though.

Fine for a shelf rider, but pretty soft for real work. seems it would nick and tear pretty easily.

If a person thinks they are some kind of tough guy they need to wrangle the Stihl replacement tubing onto a 3/4 wrap bar. It humbled me in the worst way. I'm talking compressed air with fittings, tire mounting lube, vises, etc. It will whip your hind end if you let it. It's on there, but holy smokes...

Not sure if hockey stick tape is the same as handlebar grip tape, but the hockey stuff stays pretty tacky and won't unroll

Not sure if hockey stick tape is the same as handlebar grip tape, but the hockey stuff stays pretty tacky and won't unroll

I was also gonna suggest that....however, it's possible it could get overly grubby quickly and cause issues.

The stuff Brad used looks great.

If a person thinks they are some kind of tough guy they need to wrangle the Stihl replacement tubing onto a 3/4 wrap bar. It humbled me in the worst way. I'm talking compressed air with fittings, tire mounting lube, vises, etc. It will whip your hind end if you let it. It's on there, but holy smokes...

I'm with you John! That's a job and a half right there!

View attachment 273017

this was from Northwood saw a Sponsor here

this was a bear and a half to get on it was a foot and ahalf longer that the handle hand soap and Water but a hr and a half later

its on and i find the wrong handle for a 041 non av so i had to put it on the right one

brother likes it on his 041 it holds up ok

Handle bar foam grip

Check it out

What do you think the toughness of the heat shrink vs. the Stihl hose is?

Heat shrink is PVC.

Comes in different shrink ratios. Usually ranging from 1:2 to 1:4.

With and without the sealant on the inside.

Comes in different final hardness.

Comes in different thickness.

Can be tough as Hel. Outlast most anything.

A couple of layers with sealant is some antivibe.

My $.02

There is also 'Cold Shrink' tubing. It is a thick, medium-soft rubber expanded onto a spiral core.
You slide the tubing over the handle (or electrical splice) and pull out the core by unraveling it (like the paper wrapping on a grease pencil).
Collapses tight. Works great. Comes in lots of diameters and thicknesses, and I think in grey or black. Not cheap.

attachment.php

Sold through commercial electrical supply houses - guys that work with the high voltage and underground feeder type stuff.
(Sorry, the 3M website is terrible to find things - you can try a Google search for some vendors)

P.S. - I remember the threads several years back about inflating the OEM STIHL handle cover. Might still be found with a determined search. Anyone know how it is currently done at the factory?

Philbert

Back