Bridge Grafting a fruiting sweet cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I transplanted this cherry a couple years ago and needed to repair trunk damage. I let some rootstock suckers grow up to make the bridge. So this week I got around to an attempt to repair. Used a finish nail at top to help hold, parafilm wrapped the joint, followed by electrical tape, then used toilet flange beeswax to seal it all.

cherry damage.jpgcherry damage2.jpginarch graft.jpginarch graft wax.jpg

Can you explain this more like what is your end goal??
I have multiple kinds of fruit trees and had a buck run one of peach trees few years back…it’s not dead, but I am sure it will eventually kill it…it rubbed down to the good wood on like 40-40-% of the tree diameter….leaved out last year fine but definitely sucks…tree prob 6-8 years old

Why not pick one of the stump sprouts and use a bark graft or three flap graft. Then when it begins growing, cut everything else back.

Can you explain this more like what is your end goal??
I have multiple kinds of fruit trees and had a buck run one of peach trees few years back…it’s not dead, but I am sure it will eventually kill it…it rubbed down to the good wood on like 40-40-% of the tree diameter….leaved out last year fine but definitely sucks…tree prob 6-8 years old
The end goal is to be able to keep the tree since is has developed scaffold limbs with plenty of fruiting scars rather than starting a new tree. I'll have to get proactive on my spray schedules for it and if any borers are in it to get a timely spray of Lindane come August.

You should post pics of your damaged tree.

Why not pick one of the stump sprouts and use a bark graft or three flap graft. Then when it begins growing, cut everything else back.
My goal is to not lose a developed fruit tree overall. Otherwise, its years to develop the scaffold limbs etc. I actually recently did what you mention on an old peach tree. I'll post pics later on today.

The end goal is to be able to keep the tree since is has developed scaffold limbs with plenty of fruiting scars rather than starting a new tree. I'll have to get proactive on my spray schedules for it and if any borers are in it to get a timely spray of Lindane come August.

You should post pics of your damaged tree.

I will get pic when I go load stove later…how many and kinda don’t have, fruit trees that is

Here's a couple of my recent peach using the same variety as the older tree. Although, not a cleft more like a modified rind / wedge graft.

peach graft2.jpgpeach graft2.jpg

another small established tree that rotted back and used the suckers. 2nd pic is a peach on a cherry rootstock.

peach graft3.jpgpeach graft4.jpg

Back