help - Echo 440EVL adjustable oiler not working at all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30dodgeboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been working on a friend's Echo 440EVL saw, he brought it over with a broken rope / missing pull handle (I think he bought it that way). I fixed that quick, and checked the gas tank. The fuel smelled like it had been in there at least 5 years. Swapped it for fresh gas, topped off the bar oil and it started up pretty easily considering what was in the tank previously...

The saw cuts pretty good (had a new bar and chain on it), a little light on power, but - the oiler is not working at all. I disassembled the saw, checked the oil tank and line coming out - oil flows freely out of the line from the tank. Checked to make sure the bar wasn't plugged, and it is clear too. Checked the passage between the bar and oiler pump, that is clear as well. The oil hole in the bar lines up with the oil slot in the saw's body just fine. Removed the oiler pump and all seems good there, but I am not exactly sure what to look for. I cleaned the parts clean as a whistle and reassembled it all. The O-rings are all good. I noticed compressed air will not flow from the oil line connection through the oiler pump to the bar when the oiler pump body is threaded all of the way in. If it is backed out a couple turns, air can flow through. Tried it out again that way, saw is still not oiling at all. Tried adjusting the oiler a turn in either direction, no oil either.:censored:

Ok, so now I really examine the oiler pump. I pull the spring & plunger rod off and see the diameter of the plunger really doesn't close off the bore it fits in in the area of the cross-drilled holes. When you look through the cross-drilled holes in the brass pump body, you can see the hole in the center is larger in diameter than the plunger rod. It seems like the pump would be ineffective this way. Also, I wonder how that pump can function at high speed since it is driven off the crankshaft.

Can anyone help? I would greatly appreciate some experienced advice or info from a manual. Is there a specific procedure for installing the oiler pump and adjusting it?

This saw belongs to a very good friend of my dad, and I always help him out whenever he needs it.

Latest posts

Back