Early Homelite XL-12 Oiler Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchovsStihl63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been chasing a no oil problem with this saw since getting it running, here is what I have done so far (it is a manual oiler saw):

-Verified the tank is clean
-verified the filter is clean
-New O-rings on the plunger
-verified the pump to bar line open by priming the pump and getting one squirt of oil
-Verified the tank to pump line is open

Here is where I run into a problem. I pulled the check valve elbow out of the tank to verify its operation, but I think I am missing a piece. All that is in there is the check ball and nothing else. When I screw the line into it, it just bottoms out against the check ball and never tightens up, even when the nut is ran all the way down.

It seems like there should be another piece that the ferule on the copper line seals against in the fitting to prevent the line from bottoming out against the check valve, which is preventing oil flow from the tank, and also causing the pump to suck air at this fitting.

Was hoping someone could tell me if I am in fact missing something in the check valve.

Yep, the pressed in ferule is gone, which would explain why there was a wad of felt crammed in there with it, probably got it by for a while. Got 2 new ones ordered, hopefully I will be cutting wood with it in the new year.

Back