Help needed with a Sachs 153

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom11919

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my milling saw back into operation and am having some trouble. Long story short, I replaced the factory ignition module with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OK9ZFG due to the original overheating and crapping out. As of just now, I was able to get the saw to fire at about 3/4 to 1 turn out on the L screw (H screw is about 2 turns out) with no choke and the throttle closed (after trying all other combinations of choke and throttle) and actually got it to run while holding the throttle for about 15 seconds but died when I attempted to let it idle and then wouldn't fire at all. Compression is 150ish after three pulls on the cord and engine cold. Spark is very strong and bright blue. I'm not sure about timing, but I set the new module as close as I could to the factory position. I suspect the carb is either way out of adjustment or needs a rebuild? Ideas?

I'd recommend backing up and proving that the crankcase is leak free before proceeding. You can go nuts trying to adjust out an air leak. Once you prove there's no air leak then rebuild the carb and go from there.

Did your ignition system work prior to installing that chip? I have seen those
chips throwing the timing way off. They can advance timing so it is a bear to
pull over. They can also be wired to ways.

Latest posts

Back