455 Rancher issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, got a 455 rancher just bought a bunch of new parts for it but have some issues I need help addressing.

I start the saw up no problem, choke it, start, turn off the choke and pull it starts up fine. Immediately the saw takes off and the chain starts going round. I touch the throttle and the saw dies down a bit. Let off the gas it completely dies. When I tried to run it in the wood the saw would idle up nice and high and the chain would grab a bit of wood but then stop spinning. Again, as soon as I remove my hand from the throttle, the saw dies.

I'm assuming this is both an issue with the clutch (seeing as the saw will rev up even with the chain stuck on the wood non-spinning.) and potentially need some other work since it dies immediately after throttling. Not sure what would cause that.

The issue with the saw dying only presented itself after installing a new bar and chain, it ran fine without a bar/chain on it after throttling.

If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I tried to do a little searching around the forum, but since I'm not conclusively sure on what the issue is, I'm not sure how to search about for it.

Issue is with the chain brake assembly, it's holding locked position even with the clutch cover off (brand new clutch cover) and wasn't seating quite properly. Solved both issues.

Latest posts

Back