How did I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In BC, the Humbolt has to be used in the logging industry. Primarily it was financial, as the government stumpage is paid on the scale, and someone calculated that the conventional notch reduces the log value by 2% (a big deal, when the provincial cut is 70 million cubic meters).

The 2" step up on the back cut from the notch apex is to prevent the butt from sliding backwards off the stump.

Yup, plus the feel of having more control,
Pretty much the way I always notched,
Jeff

Cutting above on conventional also gives a bit more hinge as the fibers bend instead of tear but its all good. I'll try and explain what i mean above as the hinge starts to bend the fibers are doing just that above but if below they will lift instead of bend! As I have stated, I used all sorta notches first 5 years including back cuts different heights. Snipes, steps and a stone or two to swing. I have and still sometimes taper a back cut to swing a tree but I now stay above on my back cut if conventional.

Assuming the value of the log is of negligible importance, is there any harm in making a humboldt notch with a tapered top as well? If you're cutting low to the ground I could see you don't have control of the tree for long, and a bit of a wedge cut off the top could extend that controlled fall a little bit, if it's just for an extra 20* or so it could make a big difference.

Assuming the value of the log is of negligible importance, is there any harm in making a humboldt notch with a tapered top as well? If you're cutting low to the ground I could see you don't have control of the tree for long, and a bit of a wedge cut off the top could extend that controlled fall a little bit, if it's just for an extra 20* or so it could make a big difference.
Well; a wedge cut off the top and you have open face and with open face you want to match back cut to the apex of the open face but yes it will give you longer and more control.

Alright, second tree is down... not perfect, but better than the last one I think..

I put a piece of 1.5" rope in with the cable so it had a little more stretch to it.. worked alright
20170404_150032.jpg

20170404_150537.jpg
20170404_125747.jpg

I did cut this back a little more for a thinner trigger
20170404_125720.jpg

20170404_125856.jpg

had to see how much bark I was dealing with.. Without fail, I had JUST sharpened the 044 and trimmed the bark off.. there was a damned nail in there and totally screwed the chain.. Oh well, I need more filing practice, right?
20170404_125747.jpg

Camera buggered up on the picture of the fallen tree... Top was pretty hollow.. I couldn't believe it, there was a little wren the went hopping into the hollow moments after I fell the darned tree.. fearless or stupid? I dunno

Little cat has it's work cut out dragging it.. busted a chain trying to lift it. Center has a little rot spot in it but I should be able to salvage a fair bit of wood from it nevertheless.. that length is 30 ft, my last one was 24... Next tree to come down is in the background of this pic and will be fallen right about where I'm standing... probably going to use a block and tackle against one of my old stumps, though I won't be able to get as high up on the tree to hook the line on
20170404_155505.jpg

again good enuff the face cuts a bit small not deep 1/3 & tad high ( wider open ) for me but it got the job done..

Im not seeing any work mates in pictures um hope your told next of kin where your are and dont mind a nite or 2 pinned under a log

" buggered up" hey that a OZ slang,, where you'd borrow that from ?

No, no work mates, but I do set check-in times with the old foggies for lunch, etc.

Buggered up.. I've used that term for years.. I don't think it's as Oz specific as you may think.. lots of old timers used the term around here and I'm carrying the torch :p

Got most of the wood down to the yard today.. damn that was a lot of heavy lifting and I'm feeling it.

Just got the new top end for the 064 (Farmertec 56mm).. tweaked it a little and gave it a test run.. damn that thing runs strong now!

Brought down the next tree.. what a crash that thing made.. 34" of wood at the base, virtually no rot up to about 25 feet, which is perfect for me looking for 20' boards
Poor little JD350 had a heck of a time getting one end of it out of the creek bed, I knew I was going to need a little help getting it all the way out, so I got 2 pulley blocks and a length of 5/8th cable hooked onto a stout fir tree conveniently located and it pulled right out.. Now I really should find some kind of axle to put under it to skid it out of there.

That 064 is a bear to start.. sure likes ripping your fingers off.. I think I will look for a decomp valve for it!.. I'll also run a compression test on it now that it's at least somewhat broken in.. I'm guessing 180psi or so

Alright, I fell another tree the other day, big ass Fir, again, 34" bar on the 394 was about 2" shy of getting through it.. I think I did a much better job on the cut this time, worked like a charm

and heck with splitting it, I'm making noodles.. Had all 3 of my big saws flex their muscles at it, 064 big bore, 044 with full comp, and the 394... all 3 ate it up.... lots and lots of noodles. It was live, so I'm going to let it sit and dry out a while.
20170825_153907.jpg

20170825_153927.jpg

My new little Pioneer 1073 got some work for it too, perfect for cutting up the limbs, just having a hard time keeping the chain tight.

And since I had previously mentioned the 064 with Farmertec jug.. I did a compression test on it, 210 PSI on 100cc, no wonder it's a misery! I broke down, put a hole in the top cover, and installed a decomp valve.. much nicer now

Back