How many trees make a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys. At least now I have a rough estimate. Every time I get wood delivered I understand how much wood each cord is. I went to college in Washington State and always wondered how much wood those trucks were hauling.

Here in California we have very low load limits on trucks so the trailers are always capped by weight rather than volume (assuming the trucks have to pass through a weigh station)

If you know the species and you know the tare weight of the truck and trailer and the truck has been weighed, it is easy to figure out how many cord you have.

Where I'm at we have limits of 80k combined. A self loader truck and trailer tare out at about 40k so you can get 40k lbs of wood. If it is douglas fir, figure about 4,000lbs a cord green so you can get up to 10 cord delivered at a time. It always depends though, small logs take up more space, you'll probably need 40' logs to max out weight with a single trailer ect.

I am planning to cut down some trees this weekend. Most are 8 inch or larger and at least twenty foot before you get to the branches. Just trying to figure how many trees i need to get 7 to 10 cords.
This one tree produced five cords:
AndysBigCottonwood.jpg

A couple of these and you are done.

Back