How To Store A Lot of Short Splits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've just had some dead Ash trees taken down and, thinking they were all going to be punky, I told them to just remove them. After they bucked about 15% of it into really short pieces (8" to 12") to help with removal, they said most of it was solid. They told me they would split all of it for me for an amazing price.

So, after stacking my 16" to 17" splits, I'm left with maybe 1-1/2 cords of really short spits. They're not really stackable.

My question is, how to store them? I'm thinking of just making a pile and putting a tarp over them. I'm not too concerned about the bottom rotting. Any better ideas?

Thanks.

wood.jpg

I made a rectangular cage that fits on a pallet out of Tractor Supply cattle panel, but I don't end up with anywhere near the amount you have.

You could stack the full pieces as the outer ring of holz hausen and toss the shorts in the middle.

Hi all.

I've just had some dead Ash trees taken down and, thinking they were all going to be punky, I told them to just remove them. After they bucked about 15% of it into really short pieces (8" to 12") to help with removal, they said most of it was solid. They told me they would split all of it for me for an amazing price.

So, after stacking my 16" to 17" splits, I'm left with maybe 1-1/2 cords of really short spits. They're not really stackable.

My question is, how to store them? I'm thinking of just making a pile and putting a tarp over them. I'm not too concerned about the bottom rotting. Any better ideas?

Thanks.

View attachment 1121887

Dump them in IBC totes, if you can find any for sale cheap locally.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/ibc-totes-firewood-system-upgrade.362512/

I use empty feed sacks for this type of wood left over from splitting. These sacks are made from poly or burlap type of material and don't grab the pieces of wood too much when you are in the process of filling them up.

Personally, I usually only have 4 or 5 such bags at a max. Not sure how many would be needed for your volume. With over a cord of wood, you may have a hard time finding the quantity you need. I get them from horse feed supplement such a farriers formula or all-in-one feed.

Have an acquaintance with a large barn who might have a bunch of these laying around? They may be glad to get rid of these extra bags.

We call them "goofy pc's" at our house. They get their own pile. half hearted pile/stack about 8foot square. all my plies stay uncovered all summer. once the rain stars setting in During fall the tarps lay on top with all the sides exposed for best air flow.

Mine go on
Hi all.

Thanks.

View attachment 1121887
Mine go on a pile then the second year I haul to my patio an pitch onto a pile - burn that first every season. I'm about 3/4 way through last year's acculation now.

Why over-think it? You said it was dead, now it is split, now just burn it. It will be cold as hell out there in 4 days.
The whole point of my question though was how to store/stack it. If I could burn it tomorrow, I would... This stuff may be around for a year or more.

I take a pallet and staple 3' chicken wire around it making a short bin. Works great for the shorts and odd stuff coming off the splitter. The tops were covered with a piece of heavy plastic and then shrink wrapped. Sides were left open.

Latest posts

Back