When to split various species 101???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaddemler1980

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm curious to hear others opinions on the subject of when it's the best time to split various wood species based on ease of splitting with a wood splitter.
For argument sake let's say getting it split just for the purpose of drying it out faster is irrelevant. When is the wood the easiest to split is the only pertinent question.
I personally cut all my stuff into rounds throw them to the side and split as I have time throughout the entire year... I have plenty of land so I'm able to make plenty of stacks.
I cover all my split wood with tin on top and that's it. My big rounds I have in rows on gravel not dirt and split them whenever I'm ambitious enough. Currently have 20+ 4' rounds of oak that have been sitting for 14 months waiting for the splitter... also have 4' trunk sections not cut into rounds yet.

Anyway back to the question, for the following wood species when is it the easiest to split. Green right after the take down, half dry let's say sitting for a few months, or mostly dry after a full year outside?
1) Silver Maple
2) Green Ash
3) Burr Oak
4) Shag Hickory
5) Willow
6) Black Walnut

In my opinion ash trees can be split as soon as they hit the ground. Ash trees have some of the lowest moisture content of many hardwoods (and that's before taking EAB into account). The trees that I've split in my yard are at 20-22% moisture content and they were taken down the week before Labor Day.

So I'm curious to hear others opinions on the subject of when it's the best time to split various wood species based on ease of splitting with a wood splitter.
For argument sake let's say getting it split just for the purpose of drying it out faster is irrelevant. When is the wood the easiest to split is the only pertinent question.
I personally cut all my stuff into rounds throw them to the side and split as I have time throughout the entire year... I have plenty of land so I'm able to make plenty of stacks.
I cover all my split wood with tin on top and that's it. My big rounds I have in rows on gravel not dirt and split them whenever I'm ambitious enough. Currently have 20+ 4' rounds of oak that have been sitting for 14 months waiting for the splitter... also have 4' trunk sections not cut into rounds yet.

Anyway back to the question, for the following wood species when is it the easiest to split. Green right after the take down, half dry let's say sitting for a few months, or mostly dry after a full year outside?
1) Silver Maple
2) Green Ash
3) Burr Oak
4) Shag Hickory
5) Willow
6) Black Walnut
Do you mean after you've cut(blocked) it to length?
I split all my wood right away and stack it in the woodshed or on my covered racks. All together holds about ten cords, but I only use and split around 3 cords a year for the Drolet HT2000 woodstove I have in my basement which is also my main entrance. I also burn 100 bags of wood pellets for my pellet stove which does the main heating on the main floor upstairs.

IMG_20200509_200203440.jpg

IMG_20200611_162125457_HDR.jpg IMG_20211005_182406413.jpg
IMG_20220716_190515546.jpg IMG_20220904_162850705.jpg

Back