husqvarna 268 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pictures of my girls ( husky 268 xp-w and the little stihl stinker 026):

Also do you know if anybody has a cylinder and piston for a stihl 056 mag II? I am pretty sure it is a 56mm bore. Mine ate a ring :cry:
Thanks

HA! :clap: I just figured out how to put a picture in! I think I did. Sorry about posting twice just trying to figure it out. I am much better with a saw than I am with a computer:dizzy:
attachment.php

are the cases the same 268/268xp, I have one xp, and have an opportunity to buy another with a broken AV mount on one side of the case. I'm hoping I can get a 268 case and still have a xp saw.

Yes the cases, crankshafts and oil pumps are the same. As well as the 61, 66, 266, 268, and the 272. The only difference is that somewhere along the way they changed the crank and clutch from a coarse thread to a fine thread. But that may well have happened before they even came out with the 268XP. Not sure. Not only that but the 625, 630 and 670 Jonsered are all the same cases/cranks as well just a different color!!:cheers:

No need for them here - and a lot of other places. They are made for a special purpose, and most people have no need for them.

No you don't see many around here either. But I don't mind the way they look. Niko what is the purpose, I thought it was just to keep the saws from rubbing together in the back of the truck????:hmm3grin2orange:

No you don't see many around here either. But I don't mind the way they look. Niko what is the purpose, I thought it was just to keep the saws from rubbing together in the back of the truck????:hmm3grin2orange:

Cutting in steep terrain, when you can't access the tree from the side you prefer.

Yes the cases, crankshafts and oil pumps are the same. As well as the 61, 66, 266, 268, and the 272. The only difference is that somewhere along the way they changed the crank and clutch from a coarse thread to a fine thread. But that may well have happened before they even came out with the 268XP. Not sure. Not only that but the 625, 630 and 670 Jonsered are all the same cases/cranks as well just a different color!!:cheers:

This is mostly true, but there are a few differences in the cases of some of these models... for instance, you can't make a high top 272 out of an old 61 as the case isn't drilled out for the filter base mounts. If I recall correctly, there may also be some case casting differences in the area of the ignition. I've heard that a newer, single ignition setup won't necessarily bolt onto a case made to take a two piece ignition... something about clearance under the single-piece ignition. I haven't run into this one myself, though, so it's just heresay.

These cases really are mostly the same but, depending on what you're starting with, you can still get bit!

This is mostly true, but there are a few differences in the cases of some of these models... for instance, you can't make a high top 272 out of an old 61 as the case isn't drilled out for the filter base mounts. If I recall correctly, there may also be some case casting differences in the area of the ignition. I've heard that a newer, single ignition setup won't necessarily bolt onto a case made to take a two piece ignition... something about clearance under the single-piece ignition. I haven't run into this one myself, though, so it's just heresay.

These cases really are mostly the same but, depending on what you're starting with, you can still get bit!

Yes that's true I was over generalizing. There are some variations in these saw and yrs. But I don't think the ign is a problem but you do have to change the flywheel as well to use the one piece as they are different. I will check on that though when I get back to the shop I have a 670 with a one piece and an old coarse thread 61 case all apart so easy enough to check. Sometimes you have to change more than the part you want to change in order to make things work out together.

Cutting in steep terrain, when you can't access the tree from the side you prefer.
Yeah, we have pretty steep ground here in western washington, the half wrap worked pretty well 90% of the time but the other 10% was rotten without it (and probably unsafe) when you are trying to fall in a undesired position on steep ground.

I hope I don't get bit! We just ordered a 272 cylinder and piston for a newer model 61 from baileys.

Yeah, we have pretty steep ground here in western washington, the half wrap worked pretty well 90% of the time but the other 10% was rotten without it (and probably unsafe) when you are trying to fall in a undesired position on steep ground.

I don't really see any problem with cutting with the top side of the bar, and do it often - that actually defeats the need for a full wrap.....;)

I don't really see any problem with cutting with the top side of the bar, and do it often - that actually defeats the need for a full wrap.....;)

Good point, very valid. I have a half wrap that gets more use than the 268-W XP. Do you have any advice for a stihl 056 mag 2 cylinder and piston? mine is no good.

Yes, but I would use skip-tooth. A 268XP in good shape is best suited with a 20" bar on it in hardwoods, but will run 24" without too much trouble. I have a 30" skip tooth set-up here I've ran on mine a few times, but typically keep that bar on the 480CD instead.

Remarkably the 268XP does pretty good with it, just don't get in a big hurry.......Cliff

Can you run a 28in bar on a 268 xp or non-xp??

Cliff's right........but I would add that I wouldn't run a 28" on the non-XP 268 even with a skip chain...good saw top end but just lacks the power for this job. I have 272s but am still a real proponent of the 268XP cyl.....and with a little porting will tear up a stock 272XP......the transfers in the Mahle cyl are simply much larger than the old 266XP or the 272xp......the late 670 Jonsered was the same.....if you examine the clys on the outside you'll find the transfer bulge is milled to allow the flywheel to have clearance.....the 266xp and the 272xp don't have this problem......even though 2 mm smaller bore than the 272 the 268XP is a more high performance cyl in design....I guess in the end Husky decided rather than push the envelope of performance and relied on the old adage.......there's no replacement for displacement. The 61/268 in my sig has been an absolute bear...and there's a lot left on that table...I went for torque...and still picked up another 1000 rpm over the stock 268xp spec while 4 stroking.......it dials in at 13,800 perfect.......I may go back for the left overs at some point......this saw could easily tune to 15,000 with just a bit more work....damn good family of saws to work with!!! Solid units!!!

Cliff's right........but I would add that I wouldn't run a 28" on the non-XP 268 even with a skip chain...good saw top end but just lacks the power for this job. I have 272s but am still a real proponent of the 268XP cyl.....and with a little porting will tear up a stock 272XP......the transfers in the Mahle cyl are simply much larger than the old 266XP or the 272xp......the late 670 Jonsered was the same.....if you examine the clys on the outside you'll find the transfer bulge is milled to allow the flywheel to have clearance.....the 266xp and the 272xp don't have this problem......even though 2 mm smaller bore than the 272 the 268XP is a more high performance cyl in design....I guess in the end Husky decided rather than push the envelope of performance and relied on the old adage.......there's no replacement for displacement. The 61/268 in my sig has been an absolute bear...and there's a lot left on that table...I went for torque...and still picked up another 1000 rpm over the stock 268xp spec while 4 stroking.......it dials in at 13,800 perfect.......I may go back for the left overs at some point......this saw could easily tune to 15,000 with just a bit more work....damn good family of saws to work with!!! Solid units!!!
Got me thinking now. I have a couple 268xp's and I love them. So they could be even better? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back